PDA

View Full Version : large dipper ?

Franklin7x57
08-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm going to make some 8 oz. and 10 oz. sinkers. I have a RCBS dipper, I don't know what it holds(4OZ?) I need sometime bigger. I don't want to work myself to death with too big of a dipper.
What size? Will the 1 lb rowell hold enough to pour 10 oz plus a spur and be safe?

runfiverun
08-16-2010, 01:30 AM
pour your rcbs into an ingot mold which holds about a pound then you'll know.
and a 16 oz ladle will be plenty for a 10 oz mold and sprue.
if you get the mold hot enough you could probably do two pours and not have two halfs.
if they are a bit wrinkeled i doubt the fish will care.

mdi
08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Since sinkers aren't in any need of precision, a seam or wrinkle won't make any difference (two dip pour). My opinion only...

Mk42gunner
08-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I cast a lot of 8 oz bank sinkers for snagging spoonbill. Your RCBS ladle isn't big enough, I've tried, and if you aren't fast enough getting back with the second ladle full the sinker will come apart at the cold joint.

Two solutions, 1. use an old soup ladle from your smelting pot. 2. use a fairly fast rate of pour from your bottom pour casting pot.

#2 works best for me, there is plenty of time to add more ingots to the pot while yoou are waitng for the sinker to solidify. I have enlarged the sprue hole on my Do-it mod to get it to vent fast enough. The sprues can be twisted off with pliers easily, when warm.

Robert

Changeling
08-21-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm going to make some 8 oz. and 10 oz. sinkers. I have a RCBS dipper, I don't know what it holds(4OZ?) I need sometime bigger. I don't want to work myself to death with too big of a dipper.
What size? Will the 1 lb rowell hold enough to pour 10 oz plus a spur and be safe?

Go to your local Good Will store/yard sales/wife and check. I was at our local one last week and there was some BIG soup ladles there like the ones they used when you went through the lunch lines in high school. I guarantee they will hold enough lead, LOLAL.
They wanted $2.00 each for the ones I saw.