PDA

View Full Version : oops

Ernest
08-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Short and sweet some idiot,(that would be me) got heavy handed with the file on the front sight of my Vaquero 45 and took off to much metal.

Any one got any suggestions on how to fix this?

elk hunter
08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Ernest;

Two possible fixes come to mind: First I would see if there is enough meat left to cut a small dovetail in the remaining sight blade and add some metal to it that way, Second, the right person could tig weld the front sight back up without distorting the barrel finish too badly or causing the solder to fail.

Good luck.

Ernest
08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you. I only took a small amount to much. About 3 " Hi at 25 and 6" at 50. I think I will see if I can get some one to tig a .100 or so on it. If that doesn't work I think I will try to dove tail some German silver into it.

koehn,jim
08-15-2010, 01:44 PM
You might also take a few thousands off the back sight whichraises the front sight.

John Taylor
08-15-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=11709/Product/SIGHT__FRONT__FIXED
Sight blade is usually pressed in or soldered in. You might try calling Ruger to see what's involved in changing one.

KCSO
08-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Ruger Vaquero front sight is brazed in place and TIG will build it up nicely, BUT, D rop of silver solder will also work and can be shaped into a nice front sight bead.

ph4570
08-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I needed to raise the front sight on my Blackhawk. I silver soldered a short piece of small diameter brazing rod on top and filed to my liking. It has been there for about 40 years. If I ever wanted to remove it I could easily do so.

Ernest
08-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Thank you for the great Ideas. For follow up though I might not be as dumb as I thought I was. I went out and shot again today. I think that as I filed and shot I had gotten fatigued and loosened by grip. That actually made the gun shoot quite a bit higher suddenly. Today when I went out to shoot it I had my usual firm grip and the groups landed right over the tip of the blade at 25 yards:):) Happy day.

Thanks again. The idea of soldering a brazing round section to the front sight sound like a great tool to have in the box.

Molly
08-16-2010, 08:54 AM
The quick and easy way, certified by another ham-fisted idiot: Just lay a bead of solder across the top of the sight and file it to the right height and width. Then use a bit of solder black from Brownell's to merge it with the rest of the sight, and you're done.

kirb
08-16-2010, 09:53 AM
I know some have had great success with JB weld and file to fit

Ernest
08-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Didn't know you could blacken solder. I can use that information on another gun.
Thanks again for all the replies

joatmon
08-16-2010, 11:24 PM
I know ya got it now, but was it blue or stainless? Just wondering.
Thanks Aaron

Ernest
08-17-2010, 07:14 PM
I know ya got it now, but was it blue or stainless? Just wondering.
Thanks Aaron
Blue and I really like the silly thing. Adequate Horse power in 45 with out tooo much muzzle blast and recoil. I really hope to try it on a hog or deer this season.

Big Dave
08-28-2010, 10:47 PM
You can get what the staind glass people call patina, which is a chemical coctail which colors the tin content in solder. It comes in black, copper and brass. High tin content solder colors best (60 /40)