PDA

View Full Version : Finally! 350 rounds and no leading!

tbonifie
08-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks to all of you guys on this forum, you've been a great help!

I went out with my daughter the other night and we sent 350 rounds of .45ACP down range with my Glock 21 (LWD barrel). These are 200 grain Lee TL bullets. Every time so far I've shot lead through this barrel, I've spent the next 3 nights soaking it in Hoppes #9 and scrubbing it out due to the immense amount of leading.

This time, after shooting 350 rounds of lead, we shot a magazine of jacketed rounds (as recommended by some here) and packed up to go. I went to clean the barrel tonight for a day of shooting tomorrow and guess what? One swipe of a bore snake and it was squeaky clean. I am shocked!

I think the big difference is after slugging my barrel, I worked on getting just the right amount of crimp with the Lee FCD so a pulled bullet would be 0.451 - 0.452. I'm no longer over-sizing the bullets and I'm also no longer getting big plumes of smoke when they fire.

Thanks for all the help in finding the formula that works for me! Great stuff!

:-)

Jack Stanley
08-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Congrats on your acomplishment ! It's a great thing to be able to shoot all you'd like without having to scrub barrels all night . Now , load up a thirty caliber ammo can full and see if itwill work the same ;)

I used to shoot a bunch of forty-five through a 1911 and when working up a load no leading for long strings of fire was one of my requirements . I don't shoot pistols as much as I used to but at least when I do they don't lead .

Jack [smilie=f:( darn skeeters)

Shiloh
08-15-2010, 10:13 AM
That boolit works wonderfully for me. Sized at .452, moderate velocities with Bullseye and Unique, I get great accuracy and absolutely no leading. Never had the need to chase them with jacketed ball ammo.

Shiloh

RobS
08-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Great to hear you have things figured out..............and with no leading = no frustration................and now fully addicted.

captaint
08-15-2010, 12:11 PM
tb - it's a wonderful thing, isn't it?? You look down the barrel and see nothing but clean and you're like That's right!!!! Got it. Congrats. enjoy Mike

mdi
08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Good goin'! Now you got me thinking about the Lee 200 gr. boolit. I've been wanting to try something different in my RIA. Did you alox them?

tbonifie
08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Bit of an update. I shot another 100 rounds yesterday and did not follow up with jacketed rounds. I did get a bit of leading...

So I'm thinking a couple of things at this point:

1) Firing a magazine of jacketed rounds is a quick way to clean lead from the barrel!

2) I still need to dial in my loads a bit more before I can get away from leading altogether.

tbonifie
08-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Good goin'! Now you got me thinking about the Lee 200 gr. boolit. I've been wanting to try something different in my RIA. Did you alox them?

I'm using LLA cut 50% with Johnson's paste wax. I'm also tumbling the loaded rounds in corn cob with a tablespoon of mineral spirits to clean off the excess lube after loading.