PDA

View Full Version : Grab a box of bullets and off to range

Butler Ford
08-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I thought I'd try to give a different meaning to grabbing a box of bullets and heading to the range. :cbpour:

I had ask here this past spring about wadcutter bullets and was informed that the Lee with real grease grooves were as good as most and better than many. So in good faith, I got the Lee with six holes and cast a few bullets out of ww/flashing lead and a bit of tin.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/ButlerFord45/leewadcutter.jpg

I got sidetracked by life on the farm this summer but got back to them recently. I sized them .358 with only the bottom lube groove filled with White Label BAC. A mid-range load of Bullseye proved to be quite accurate out of my S&W Model's 10 and 15.

Nothing earth shattering here, just a Thank You for all the information ya'll were willing to share. Looking forward to next weekend and maybe a little range time.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/ButlerFord45/boxofbullets.jpg

08-14-2010, 08:03 PM
I love the picture of the smith with those 38s ! That is quiet a box

Oyeboten
08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
What a nice picture that is.

I like that Gang Mold too, all of mine are single cavity.

Trey45
08-14-2010, 08:26 PM
That's a lot of ammo! I made a mistake one time by loading up a bunch of brass like that, with an untested load! Boy what a let down when I went to shoot it and it was horrible in my gun! Lesson learned the hard way. Glad your is working well for you, you say a midrange bullseye load? 3gr or there abouts?

fecmech
08-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Yessir you've got the right idea! Let's see if I've got the mix right. One pound of Bullseye, about 51 lbs of lead and maybe 2300 primers, oh and a box to carry them in!

Butler Ford
08-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks ya'll. Trey, the tested load was 3 gr., the Dillon SDB went to 3.1 on the first turn of the adjustment, I tried a few of those and there was no difference. A plug for Dillon, after 3200+ it was still at 3.1 gr.. I've tried a few cylinders full when I changed lots of powder and primer and everything was still the same. I have a couple more .38's that I haven't tried these in but they way they shoot, I'm confident that it's going to be a good solid basic load that pretty much everything will shoot well. At least I have faith that it will! :drinks:

Ekalb2000
08-15-2010, 12:14 AM
What a nice picture that is.

I like that Gang Mold too, all of mine are single cavity.

You really need to get yourself ahold of a six banger. And boxes like Butler Ford's will soon be common place for ya.

Buckshot
08-15-2010, 02:44 AM
...............Ah yes, the 6 banger Lee's :-)

http://www.fototime.com/34DC7833A633206/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/FC7FB74B506D8FB/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/654A4144C54FAB9/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/D6A6B7A4B80A24E/standard.jpg

Hey Butler Ford where do ya buy those nifty ammo boxes?:kidding:

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
08-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Sublime, how sublime those photos truly are.

The cast wadcutter and the 38 Special cartridge are truly a marriage made in heaven.

sundog
08-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Buckshot queried, "Hey Butler Ford where do ya buy those nifty ammo boxes?"

I just about back snorted a mouth full of coffee all over the key board! Those boxes are a rarity among the unwashed, eh?

Jack Stanley
08-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Boxes ?..... boxes !?! We don' neeed no steeenkin' boxes !!! :razz:

I remember packing a whole lotta rounds to the range just that way . Then I found I could pack a thousand flush seated wadcutters into a thirty caliber can . I felt I was doing my part to "save the trees" [smilie=l:If I remember right a fifty caliber can will take about fifteen or sixteen hundred and I never did try to fill a forty mike/mike can .

I just love those old Smith revolvers , is it just the light or is that an old four screw gun ? I can see a lot of fun at the range about to happen with the combo you have there .

Jack

Mk42gunner
08-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Boxes ?..... boxes !?! We don' neeed no steeenkin' boxes !!! :razz:

I remember packing a whole lotta rounds to the range just that way . Then I found I could pack a thousand flush seated wadcutters into a thirty caliber can . I felt I was doing my part to "save the trees" [smilie=l:If I remember right a fifty caliber can will take about fifteen or sixteen hundred and I never did try to fill a forty mike/mike can .

I just love those old Smith revolvers , is it just the light or is that an old four screw gun ? I can see a lot of fun at the range about to happen with the combo you have there .

Jack

Not sure how many rounds you'd get in a 40MM can, but you would need some mechanical help to load it in the truck.

I do know that a 20mm can will hold almost 1800 rounds of linked 7.62mm, if you take the cardboard out. (two man lift). The factory sealed cans with 1500 rounds weighed 122 pounds.

Sure wish I'd got more of the various ammo cans when the price was right.

Robert

Butler Ford
08-15-2010, 10:37 AM
It exceds the weight limit for the flat rate box by 10# so at about 228 gr per loaded round should be about 2500 in the box.

Jack, I wish it were!! It's a -4, relativly new model just well used.

Dale53
08-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Butler Ford;
It is obvious that you are my kind of man!!

I have a six cavity H&G mold for the #251 dbl ended w/c. Everyone should have at least one .38 Special and a W/C multi-cavity mold.:drinks:

Dale53

white eagle
08-15-2010, 01:24 PM
BF
that second picture would make a hellofa nice x-mas present
could you imagine opening a gift to find that inside ?????

Butler Ford
08-15-2010, 01:29 PM
BF
that second picture would make a hellofa nice x-mas present
could you imagine opening a gift to find that inside ?????

If that's a hint, you're gonna hafta sit in a different Santa's lap! :rolleyes:

theperfessor
08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
A good .38 with accurate, mild loads is a real good way to relax and have fun. It's also a real good gun/load to introduce new shooters to the sport.

I've got guns from .22 to .45, mousefarts to magnums, but the one I always, and some time only, take with me to the range is an old blued skinny barrel 4" M10.

I think there's a lot of fun in your future.

Buckshot
08-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Buckshot queried, "Hey Butler Ford where do ya buy those nifty ammo boxes?"

I just about back snorted a mouth full of coffee all over the key board! Those boxes are a rarity among the unwashed, eh?

.............What? I mean heck, take boxes like that and wrap a couple turns of duct tape up around the top and bottom and you could prolly sell a bunch.

...............Buckshot

TCLouis
08-16-2010, 08:01 PM
What alloy, if any, are you using for the WC boolit?
I'm looking for a 25-50 yard plinking load outa 38 Spls and 357s

I bought the 6 banger mold last spring, just hate to waste alloy if lead will do!

Butler Ford
08-16-2010, 09:52 PM
TC I think I'm like most, I use the most of what I have the most of. In my case that's wheel weights, at least for now. Next is scrap flashing and plumbing lead so 8-9 lbs of wheel weights and a matching amount of pure lead with about a half pound of tin gives me a full pot. I feel certain that a softer alloy would do as well.