PDA

View Full Version : '94 Black Shadow makeover in progress..

Newtire
08-14-2010, 06:42 PM
At last, I may be able to take my Angle Eject Winchester '94 to the range without having to make up excuses why it's so ugly.

For years now, I've been trying to figure out what to do with this angle eject plastic stocked '94 that I bought back in 2000.

I finally picked up a "2nd" stock on Fleabay for a '64 Winchester. After checking out my '64 stock against "the beast", it was evident that a little fitting is all it takes to get the forearm to fit.

Then I just have to remove some wood on the buttstock to allow the coil mainspring to fit where there is a flat mainspring on the '64 and then the usual fine inletting. All I need after that is a '64 buttplate or maybe just put the crescent plate on that I already have.

So anyway, there's hope it looks like. If I ever have to sell it and the guy wants the authentic plastic stock with the 1/8" gaps, he can have it to convert back.

So here it is halfway fitted.

Trailblazer
08-15-2010, 10:16 AM
That's going to look good! I have a Black Shadow in 444 that has ended up as a safe queen. I don't mind the ugly so much since I tend to adopt ugly guns. However, I can't shoot it with iron sights because the skinny comb eats up my cheekbone. The skinny little butt is hard on the shoulder too. I started to make a wood stock from a blank years ago in the Model 64 style and never finished. To many projects! One of these days I'll get it done.

Larry Gibson
08-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Newtire

That's going to be a good looking rifle no doubt. I bought my Black Shadow because it had the composite forend and stock. I don't have to worry about dinging it up it that way. Just my preference as i really kick myself for passing on a beautiful M64 for $600 a couple years back.....

While I do love my M94AE in 30-30 I do wish Winchester would have brought it out in .307 and, preferably, 356 Winchester cartridges. The longer 24" barrels would have been perfect for both of those cartridges. I would have bought both.

Larry Gibson

Newtire
08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I had a little more time this week so got a few steps more done.

I removed the safety and looking thru the hole, I could see the hammer so there's a good chance of it hitting if the safety is anything but perfect. I put in the little plastic hole plugs like one guy suggested and looks great.

With the legs of the lower rebound part of the spring guide ground off about 1/4", they don't stop the hammer anymore. I have alot of sanding to do around the lower tang area and the butt needs to be thinned to fit the plate. It is a fun project for sure.

I saw one of those 1/2 round X 1/2 octagon barrels in .38-55 made for an angle eject for $150.00. I exercised good control I thought in not buying it. With the way lead wheelweights are becoming extinct in California, I have to conserve on lead in order to keep on shooting. So a smaller .30 bore is good yes...?

Trailblazer
08-23-2010, 09:34 AM
That rifle is coming along nicely!

As for 30 caliber. Yes! That is the way I think. My cast bullet shooting is for silhouette. A 150 grain 30 caliber will knock down our 200 meter rams so I have a lot of resistance to using larger and heavier bullets. Must be a holdover from my deprived childhood. I have made exception for my 44 cal. 1873 Winchester because it is so much fun to shoot. I use 200 grain bullets in it but they are light for the caliber.