PDA

View Full Version : Chamber cutting problem

lreed
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Hello, I have a short chambered Adams and Bennett 7mm mauser barrel that I want fitted to an action. The reamer is rented, appears in good shape,solid pilot,fits the bore well. There is only .050 approx depth left to cut,so I'll cut it by hand with a T handle, no luck cutting even with considerable force, so I chuck it in my lathe still no cutting, the reamer spins in the chamber like it is on bearings. ?????? Thank for any help. Yes I'm turning it in the right direction:-D lreed

theperfessor
08-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Have you checked to see if it's hanging up on the throat? Did you try the pilot in both ends of the barrel and not just the chamber? I'm wondering if the pilot hangs up when it fits into the true bore.

Maybe put some layout blue on the reamer and spin it in the chamber and see where it rubs off.

If the reamer is sharp then something else has to be stopping it from cutting.

lreed
08-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Perfessor,yes I have checked the pilot in the muzzle,the pilot measures .275 on my mike as does a Harborfreight J drill bit,and the shank end will slip into the bore at the chamber end.I made a range rod of sorts to check if the bore and and chamber were in line, just by vision, haven't figured a way to measure, looks good. I don't have any layout ink,but did smoke the pilot and flutes,looks like it should cut except it doesn't. Thanks for the reply. lreed

Cap'n Morgan
08-15-2010, 03:36 AM
Are you using a center in the tail stock spindle to apply pressure to the reamer by turning the spindle? If so, either the reamer is worn, or the chamber has a hard surface from chrome plating or QPQ treatment. If the chamber and bore is out of round, the reamer would tend to stick.

My best guess is that the reamer is worn after all. Check the shoulder area - that's where the reamer does most of the cutting. If you can tell a slight flat with the naked eye (more than .001 - .002) the reamer is worn, and should be reground.

No_1
08-15-2010, 06:23 AM
The reamer may appear to be sharp but the relief? may not have been ground when it was resharpened. We sent a new reamer out to have it reground to a slightly smaller size. It sure looked pretty when it came back but it would not cut because it was dragging on the trailing edge (behind the cutting edge). Try measuring across the cutting edge then across the flats behind the cutting edge.

R.

jmh54738
08-15-2010, 11:28 AM
One little metal chip laying up in the shoulder area of the chamber could prevent the reamer from taking a bite, and just spinning.

lreed
08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Hello, Thanks for your replies, all is well. The reamer rental people sent another reamer, this one is sharp. I mistakenly thought rental reamers were checked for sharp after each rental and suspected a fault with my barrel or technique.
I have fired and cleaned the rifle several factory load times and the head space has remained constant Cast bullets is the rifle's intended diet. Thanks lreed:-D

John Taylor
08-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Glad everything worked out for you.

nanuk
12-28-2010, 12:31 PM
A&B are good options from what I can tell.

to bad we can't get them up here.

the backyard gunsmith in Canada has little options. You guys down south are one lucky bunch.