PDA

View Full Version : 10mm bullets for hunting?

Wilson
08-14-2010, 12:49 PM
I have a Glock 20, 10mm that I plan to hunt with this fall. I am using a KKM barrel so I'm good for using lead. At this time I'm using a 180gr Hornady XTP. Could someone recommend a good bullet design/mold for hunting whitetails and hogs?
Is there a particular alloy that I should look at using for these bullets or will water quenched wheel weights work well. I'd like to get at least 1,100 fps out of this bullet.
Thanks

jdgabbard
08-14-2010, 06:26 PM
No offense, but I think the 10mm is going to be pretty lacking in taking white tail. Even the .357magnum is maginal, and it can be pushed slightly faster then the 10mm. If I had to use a handgun, I'd think I'd go for a solid built revolver instead of a auto pistol.

But If I insisted on using a 10mm, then I'd think I'd start out with something along the lines of the Lyman 401043 at 175gn. Pushing it as fast as I could with retaining good accuracy. And if that didn't net enough penetration, I'd go with a lighter boolit. The lighter one Lyman lists is the 401654, at 150gn.

Out of curiosity, what is it with you guys wanting to go hunting with autoloading pistols lately??? One post just above this that was about using 45acp on bear. Just saying, there is a reason why people traditionally use large caliber heavy framed handguns....

Wilson
08-14-2010, 08:31 PM
I have killed whitetails with my .357 S&W without problem. Our deer are mostly in the 110 to 150 pound range. I am primarily a spot and stalk hunter, hunting in the swamps and river/creek bottoms of Louisiana. I have enjoyed bow hunting for many years, but a shoulder injury has made the bow more difficult. The two deer I killed last year were spot and stalk killed at 16 and 18 yards. I work to do my deer/hog killing at under 30 yards. Glock is my EDC and I like it.
Our family has hunted for generations using many different methods. I'd have to say knowing your and your weapon's capabilities along with shot placement are key to putting game down ethically.
No offense taken.

crabo
08-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Our family has hunted for generations using many different methods. I'd have to say knowing your and your weapon's capabilities along with shot placement are key to putting game down ethically.
No offense taken.

You are right. "A man has got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

white eagle
08-14-2010, 09:33 PM
In 10 mm I would use a 200 gr boolit for sure
180 is ok but 200 is better
double tap has a good one ifn ya don't cast
Thats the one I carry in my Razorback come hunting season

Wilson
08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I do have some Double Tap loaded in the G-20 now, only its 180 grain.
Does anyone have any thoughts on water quenched wheel weights being pushed to 1,100 to 1,200 fps?
I particular I was hoping to get a mold recomendation. It seems folks have been having trouble with the Lyman molds, would RCBS or another be the better choice?
From what I've learned on this forum it seems a bullet with a flat front is best for hunting. Is that correct?

JTknives
08-16-2010, 02:00 AM
O NO NOT AGAIN. ok here we go. the 10mm is a smoking round and it is more then marginal on white tail. it will drop them like thy where nucked. here is my comment about a comment that was made about the 10mm being only slightly more powerful then the hot 45acp. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=971135&postcount=30
First lets get this out of the way. you don't realize the full potential of the 10mm if your shooting factory loadings. double tap or buffalo bore get close but its no hand loads. today i was testing some hand loads out at Doug's place (dk17hmr). i was shooting my glock 20 with aftermarket barrel and a few other gadgets ;). the load i was shooting was hot and was just what i was looking for. Now don't try this at home with out carefully working up your loads as I'm not responsible for your safety. i was shooting a 210gr Wide Flat nose cast boolit that i designed and made a mold for. i was using imx 800-x powder. its one of the best powders for the 10mm as you will not even touch its velocty with heavy boolits using other powders at the pressure it runs at. I'm using CCI 350 primes and starline brass. i started at 8.6gr and worked my way up to 10.4gr which is how far i loaded. if i had loaded higher i might have kept going but i hit my mark i wanted to hit so not big deal. I shot the 210gr boolits over the crono using 10.4gr of powder and i was getting 1412fps. WOW that's about kissing low 44 mag territory and blowing 41mag out the water. that's 929 ft/lbs of energy :). this is what i wanted as I'm taking an ELK with this load this year. just because its an auto pistol does not mean its wimpy. its a real stomper and from my experience the 10mm really shines at 200gr, any heaver and you loose to much case capacity and the velocity efficiency drops off. any lighter and you show pressure sines before you can get the same energy as the 200gr rounds. light boolits are fun to shoot at blistering speeds but there not as powder efficient as the heaver boolits. to get 929ft/lbs out of say a 135gr nosler you would have to push it to 1760fps which cant be done safely. i can hit 1600 when pushing it. but the problem is that the bullet does not handle that speed very good and explodes on impact. so 180gr-200gr is the sweet spot, which is funny because the 10mm was designed for 180 and 200gr bullets. i invite any one that doubts the power of the 10mm to come shooting with me and i will show them.

harley45
08-16-2010, 02:50 AM
JTKnives, I that a stock length barrel or an extended 6 incher? I'm trying to decide what to get for my glock.

JTknives
08-16-2010, 03:02 AM
JTKnives, I that a stock length barrel or an extended 6 incher? I'm trying to decide what to get for my glock.

its actually a 5.2" threaded barrel. but i had it threaded because i run with a comp. these loads would be hard core with out a comp. but for max vel i would go with a 6" for sure if you don't want a comp.

Echo
08-16-2010, 03:08 AM
O NO NOT AGAIN. ok here we go. the 10mm is a smoking round and it is more then marginal on white tail. it will drop them like thy where nucked. here is my comment about a comment that was made about the 10mm being only slightly more powerful then the hot 45acp. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=971135&postcount=30
First lets get this out of the way. you don't realize the full potential of the 10mm if your shooting factory loadings. double tap or buffalo bore get close but its no hand loads. today i was testing some hand loads out at Doug's place (dk17hmr). i was shooting my glock 20 with aftermarket barrel and a few other gadgets ;). the load i was shooting was hot and was just what i was looking for. Now don't try this at home with out carefully working up your loads as I'm not responsible for your safety. i was shooting a 210gr Wide Flat nose cast boolit that i designed and made a mold for. i was using imx 800-x powder. its one of the best powders for the 10mm as you will not even touch its velocty with heavy boolits using other powders at the pressure it runs at. I'm using CCI 350 primes and starline brass. i started at 8.6gr and worked my way up to 10.4gr which is how far i loaded. if i had loaded higher i might have kept going but i hit my mark i wanted to hit so not big deal. I shot the 210gr boolits over the crono using 10.4gr of powder and i was getting 1412fps. WOW that's about kissing low 44 mag territory and blowing 41mag out the water. that's 929 ft/lbs of energy :). this is what i wanted as I'm taking an ELK with this load this year. just because its an auto pistol does not mean its wimpy. its a real stomper and from my experience the 10mm really shines at 200gr, any heaver and you loose to much case capacity and the velocity efficiency drops off. any lighter and you show pressure sines before you can get the same energy as the 200gr rounds. light boolits are fun to shoot at blistering speeds but there not as powder efficient as the heaver boolits. to get 929ft/lbs out of say a 135gr nosler you would have to push it to 1760fps which cant be done safely. i can hit 1600 when pushing it. but the problem is that the bullet does not handle that speed very good and explodes on impact. so 180gr-200gr is the sweet spot, which is funny because the 10mm was designed for 180 and 200gr bullets. i invite any one that doubts the power of the 10mm to come shooting with me and i will show them.

I'm really not up on the 10mm. What is the recommended maximum pressure, and how did you measure your pressure?

sqlbullet
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
SAAMI max is 37,500. I would be shocked if JT's load is below that.

General rule of thumb is that 1200 FPS is at near/at max for 10mm. That is based, however, on 1984 powders. With modern powders I would think 1300 fps is possible.

This is using jacket bullets, not lead. So, it is possible that JT has a great combo and is right at max with the above load, but I would be very surprised.

Also, not sure about 'blowing' the 41 mag outta the water. Alliant and Accurate both have published data for the 41 mag with a 210 grain bullet at 1400-1450 fps. A guest at handloads has that bullet running near 1600 fps from a 4" Taurus.

Not bagging on the 10mm. It is the only handgun caliber I own, and you can never have enough of them. It is plenty of gun for white tail, and I would have no concerns taking a well stalked shot at a mulie or even an elk with one (DNR may have concerns, but I am sure the 10mm would do fine).

Also concur that a 200 grain WFN is really what you want. 800X, Accurate #9 would both be good powders.

JTknives
08-16-2010, 11:34 AM
ok i admit its not blowing the 41mag out of the water ;). i have watched for pressure signes and case head expansion is at or less the hot factory loads and the primer is just a little flat but still has rounded edges. the problem is that quickloads does not have imr-800x in its database.

JTknives
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I forgot to add that I loaded them long At around 1.27". But I will check tonight and double check the OAL. I'm currently working up a load with an OAL of 1.345". Only one round will fit in the mag with one in the pipe. Would be ok for hunting if it will allow lower pressure's with an increase in velocity.

Wilson
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks JT for sharing the data and details of your load and experiences.
Does anyone have any thoughts on water quenched wheel weights being pushed to 1,100 to 1,200 fps or 1,300 fps or more? Is the hardness of a lead bullet a factor at these velocities or a non-issue?
I was hoping to get a mold recommendation. It seems folks have been having trouble with the Lyman molds, would RCBS or another be the better choice?

9.3X62AL
08-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't load a Glock or a Colt platform past 1100 FPS with a 200 grain bullet/boolit. It isn't necessary, anyway--it will likely shoot right through most deer at most angles, even if it hits bone.

My most-blooded deer device happens to be about as powerful as a 10mm autopistol. It is a Model 1873 Winchester carbine, and it sends out 200 grain .429" boolits/bullets about 1100 FPS or so. This carbine has harvested deer by the hundreds during its life as a ranch rifle for two generations of my family, and the stakes were a lot more grim if it didn't work--that meant not eating, esp. during the Great Depression.

One other point of irritation for me--neither the 357 Magnum, nor the 10mm, nor the 41 Magnum are "marginal" calibers for deer hunting. Some of the operators of the handguns chambering these rounds might be marginal--but the calibers can make the cut, and with potential left over.

I have some RCBS 200 grain truncated cone boolits cast as soft points, using 70 grain .375" pure lead roundballs as donor slugs for the point, with the drive-band portion of the boolit composed of 92/6/2 alloy. I run these from 1100-1200 FPS in my S&W Model 1026, and I am confident that any deer I target with this load will be tagged--dragged--and field-dressed in short order.

And, YES--I've harvested a deer with a 357 Magnum revolver. The critter collapsed like a fat dude on a camp stool, too.

mpmarty
08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Why on earth would anyone want to hunt with a revolver? They are bulky and prone to stoppages that require a gunsmith to clear to say nothing of their sensitive lockwork subject to dirt and grit jamming them up. Semi-autos are much more practical and the 10mm is one of the best hunting rounds out there. I use AA#9 and 200 gr boolits and ya don't need to water drop them babies either. Softer is better for terminal ballistics.

9.3X62AL
08-16-2010, 08:09 PM
why on earth would anyone want to hunt with a revolver? They are bulky and prone to stoppages that require a gunsmith to clear to say nothing of their sensitive lockwork subject to dirt and grit jamming them up. Semi-autos are much more practical and the 10mm is one of the best hunting rounds out there. I use aa#9 and 200 gr boolits and ya don't need to water drop them babies either. Softer is better for terminal ballistics.

heretic!! :)

waksupi
08-16-2010, 08:13 PM
The critter collapsed like a fat dude on a camp stool, too.

I didn't know you had seen me in camp!

As for the revolver comment, PULEEEZE!, Put a smiley in when you say that!

excess650
08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Why on earth would anyone want to hunt with a revolver? They are bulky and prone to stoppages that require a gunsmith to clear to say nothing of their sensitive lockwork subject to dirt and grit jamming them up. Semi-autos are much more practical and the 10mm is one of the best hunting rounds out there. I use AA#9 and 200 gr boolits and ya don't need to water drop them babies either. Softer is better for terminal ballistics.

I would sooner trust my S&W 610 with heavy loads than a Glock or Delta Elite. My powder of choice is AA#7.

I've shot quenched range lead cast bullets into obsolete vests draped over hard-backed chairs, and found the bullets to mushroom rather nicely despite being more than 15bhn, and this at only 1000fps from a 40 S&W. I will admit that my bullets were low antimony content.

sqlbullet
08-17-2010, 12:12 PM
JT,

That COL is going to make a difference for sure. My Witness's won't feed anything over 1.260. Adding that little extra space will definitely give some breathing room on pressure.

I sent one of my 205 grain WFN (water dropped BHN 25+) loaded over 9 grains of Blue Dot through 11 milk jugs of water a few weeks ago. 11 was all that would fit on the table we took, so I don't know how many would have been needed to stop the slug, or what expansion it had. Still, that is six feet of penetration on water, plus 22 layers of milk jug plastic.

JTknives
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
JT,

That COL is going to make a difference for sure. My Witness's won't feed anything over 1.260. Adding that little extra space will definitely give some breathing room on pressure.

I sent one of my 205 grain WFN (water dropped BHN 25+) loaded over 9 grains of Blue Dot through 11 milk jugs of water a few weeks ago. 11 was all that would fit on the table we took, so I don't know how many would have been needed to stop the slug, or what expansion it had. Still, that is six feet of penetration on water, plus 22 layers of milk jug plastic.

Ya that's why I seated long. You should see my new loads I loaded last night. I did some math to figure out how deap my throat is. I now have 50 rounds of worked up loads from 9.75gr to 12gr. I know that's way hot but I loaded the rounds to an OAL of 1.39". That's not a typo ;). It will hold one in the mag and one in the chamber. With some mag modifying I can fit 4 or 5 rounds which is more then I would need for hunting. This should help with the pressure :).

Wilson
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
sqlbullet,
What mold do I get for a 205 WFN bullet? I didn't know what WFN ment, but after a Google search it I found Wide Flat Nose. Correct?
I too am using Blue Dot, 10.7 grains under a Hornady 180 grain FMJ. My chrono shows this bullet to be traveling at 1,110 fps
Thanks

JTknives
08-17-2010, 01:45 PM
im telling you imr 800x is where its at. NO other powder can touch it with hot loads. not blue dot, not AA#9 not ANY. it is a pain to measure as you have to hand measure it.

Wilson
08-17-2010, 02:36 PM
OK JT you sold me. I've got some on the way from Graf & Sons.
Now can anyone recommend what mold I need to cast the 200 gr WFN?

JTknives
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
OK JT you sold me. I've got some on the way from Graf & Sons.
Now can anyone recommend what mold I need to cast the 200 gr WFN?

thats the problem, there is not really a WFN mold out there for the 10mm so i made my own. but i will do some searching and let you know. i am getting ready to do a group buy for my 200gr WFN

Elkins45
08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
im telling you imr 800x is where its at. NO other powder can touch it with hot loads. not blue dot, not AA#9 not ANY. it is a pain to measure as you have to hand measure it.

I have to agree that 800X is THE powder for 10mm. I also agree that if you're loading up near the ragged edge you would need to weigh each charge. I think chunky peanut butter would probably flow through a measure with more constancy than 800X.

I wonder how well it would work with the Lee dippers?

JTknives
08-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I have to agree that 800X is THE powder for 10mm. I also agree that if you're loading up near the ragged edge you would need to weigh each charge. I think chunky peanut butter would probably flow through a measure with more constancy than 800X.

I wonder how well it would work with the Lee dippers?

the problem with 800x is that its like metering paper plates. the powder packs easley so volume measuring is a problem. but remember CCI 350 primers for heavy boolits and CCI 300 primers for the lite ones.

sqlbullet
08-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Wilson,

Mine is from Mountain Molds. However, I didn't order it. I sell a little lead here and there in the paper, and one of my regulars had the mold, but wanted a gas check design. I traded him lead for the mold.

http://fellingfamily.net/images/MM_205_FRN.jpg

If I were building one I would omit the crimp groove and have just the single lube groove.

jdgabbard
08-18-2010, 05:58 AM
i would have to disagree with this statement strongly, actually quite strongly. yes the 10mm does not reach 44mag power levels but i would like to see a 45acp touch 10mm in power and penetration. you say that the 10mm is only slightly better then a hot 45acp, but wait that's not fair. lets compare hot to hot if we are going to compare these 2 calibers. yes the 45 acp is larger in diameter then the 10mm but it acts to it's disadvantage. OK lets take 200gr-210gr cast with a large Meplat. the 45acp is moving slow which with a big boolit is not to bad but in order to gain any advantage of using a wide flat nose you need to be between 1200-1600 fps. if you cant push it that fast then you are just making a hole the size of the boolit. now once you can get it moving over 1200 fps then something starts to happen. you start to see permanent wound channels that happen to be much larger then the actual boolit diameter. i have seen numbers that relate to permanent channels being any where from 2-5 times the actual boolit size. now if you look at factory loaded 10mm rounds you will have slow velocity compared to what it was meant to do. but remember one thing that is a driving force behind penetration is sectional density. which is the weight of the boolit compared to its diameter. here is the formula
(weight in grains / 7000 grains-per-pound) / ( diameter2)
it is proven that bullets with higher Sectional Density penetrate better then lower sectional density. there is more mass behind a smaller surface area. now combine this with the velocity difference and it adds up to a huge difference between the two. would it make a difference on a person , probably not. but it was enough to drive the FBI to want to use the 10mm over the 45acp because of penetration problems. thy even stated that it was the best round but because of recoil thy dropped the powder charge and ended up with the 40sw which is a fail in my eyes. but its a good round. ok back to what i was talking about. even if both the 10mm and 45acp fired the same boolit style and same weight at the same speed the 10mm would have better penetration because of the smaller surface area on the nose. yes it would be a smaller hole but you got the penetration. now lets push the 10mm to what it can do. i can personalty push a 205gr WFN cast boolit over 1400fps out of my glock with an aftermarket barrel and careful work up. that is over 900ft/lbs of energy. but that's not all, this wide flat nose is flying in the butter zone for WFN boolits and will make a big hole with massive penetration. it works so well that it actually is a legal hunting round here in utah for elk and moose. OK so your pushing a 200gr 45acp at what 900fps and the 10mm can push the same boolit at 1400ps. I will admit i am not a 45acp reloading expert so i don't know what people have hot loaded the 45acp to so if you got some numbers great. the 45acp will make a 45cal hole and lack penetration because of the lack of velocity and Sectional Density. where the 10mm will make a hole 2-5 times the diameter of the boolit and have amazing penetration. its the same reason the 9mm has so much penetration. it has the velocity and high Sectional Density. sorry about the rant but i had a 45acp and quickly sold it after i did my homework. I'm not saying that the 45acp is a bad round at all. it works great on people and has what i consider low recoil because of the low pressures in the case. but once i realized that there is a lot factors then the size of the boolit. ill tell you what, in the woods i would rather take my 10mm with 15-16 rounds then a 44 mag 5-6. my gun is comped and has very little muzzle rise and at close range i could empty a mag into something very quickly. o and that 44mag load you said would be a great bear load, 300gr at 1200fps. its the same as my 1450fps 205gr 10mm loads energy wise. the 44mag does have a higher sectional density. i just thought i would point that out.

JT, while I'm not going to disagree with you that you've loaded some HOT loads for the 10mm. You're going to have to post a video with a chrony before I'll believe you're pumping round after round out of your Glock with a load that exceeds published 41mag data. No offense, I'll believe it when I see it. The 41mag was originally designed for police work, after a very special subject matter expert suggest a round in the .40 caliber and 1200fps class as the perfect man stopper. The 41 exceeded this, and is actually too much for that application. Years later the 10mm came out, and in MY opinion is a GREAT caliber for defense. But it is not a 41mag, and will not out perform one. I can see you're load making 1200-1250 safely, after that it is foolish.

That said, I do agree with you that the 10mm is a better choice then the 45acp.

Marty, I don't know who school'd you on the revolvers. But they were quite uneducated on the matter. While everyone is entitled to an opinion, the guy that told you that should have kept to himself. The fact is, revolvers are the IDEAL hunting handgun. Their not bulky. I carry one everyday for CCW. They don't have "stopages" as you'd suggest. Unless you got a squib load. Which is hard to do if you pay attention. And I've never seen one from the factory. And HOW do you figure that it takes a gunsmith to clear??? Not to mention, if you make even the slightest effort to clean you're revolver you're not going to have to worry about the lockwork.

Most modern day revolvers can be loaded hotter then a autos of the same caliber. They tend to be more accurate at farther distances due to not having a slide that (ever so slightly) changes sight position every time it's fired. Autos are the way of the future, but they're not BETTER then the ways of old. And in many ways I, and many many others, consider them to be substitute standard to the wheelgun.

Now if I have offended either one of you men, I apologize in advance. Its not my intentions, but I understand how any post of this nature will come across. Good day.

Elkins45
08-18-2010, 07:47 AM
thats the problem, there is not really a WFN mold out there for the 10mm so i made my own. but i will do some searching and let you know. i am getting ready to do a group buy for my 200gr WFN

Be sure to let us know when the group buy happens. I might be interested in this mold.

mpmarty
08-18-2010, 12:11 PM
No offense taken JD.
Many years ago I carried a Colt Trooper as a duty weapon.
I had a primer set back and lock up the cylinder. Took an armorer over an hour to clear it. Similarly had a range load wad cutter inertia pull forward and tie it up again at which time a cleaning rod and a hammer solved the problem. As to the internal lockwork on that piece even getting the side plate off was a major effort and the internals looked like a swiss timepiece. Any little piece of crud in there would have tied the gun up once again. Revolvers get out of time and the hands wear which also effects function. My locked breech semi-autos seem much more reliable to me and are narrower as well. Therefore I submit that this cranky old fart doesn't like wheelguns.

Wilson
08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks JT. I was just about to give up on this thread and start another titled "What bullet mold for a 10mm hunting bullet?" From your posts, it seems like you're a guy who is doing what I want to do, including taking an Elk!

JTknives
08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
JT, while I'm not going to disagree with you that you've loaded some HOT loads for the 10mm. You're going to have to post a video with a chrony before I'll believe you're pumping round after round out of your Glock with a load that exceeds published 41mag data. No offense, I'll believe it when I see it.

You don't have to believe me it does not matter to me, i don't have any reason to lie. i was just posting what i get with my worked up loads with my moded glock. i fired about 50 rounds and the last 20 where over 1400fps the start loads where just about 1300fps on the nose. i have many witnesses to this velocity. ask dk17hmr (doug, a mod here) he was there and fired it him self and saw the crono. i have a video of him shooting it. also thx was there as well and he can back me up. i have no reason to lie to any one on this forum, i dont want to get any one injured. i love my glock, lots of people don't. im not trying to make people love my glock by impressing them with fake hi numbers.

Mntngoat
08-18-2010, 02:51 PM
a 180 grain XTP out of my Caspian 10mm accounted for my 220 lb wild boar!

ML

Wilson
08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Mntngoat was you 180 XTP hand loaded? If so, what components and load?

JTknives
08-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Mntngoat was you 180 XTP hand loaded? If so, what components and load?

if you want to use J-word bullets to hunt with the XTP are where its at. but i like the 200gr XTP because, well i have expressed my thoughts on the 10mm and 200gr. here are the bullets from midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=678084

softpoint
08-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I have both a Kimber stainless Target, and a Glock 20 in 10mm.My Glock has a EFK barrel. The 10 is an underrated cartridge,IMHO, with proper bullet placement can take a variety of big game. It's not quite a .41 mag. in my opinion, but i don't know if any animal could tell the difference. I've used a variety of powders, 800X, Hs7, Longshot, AA9, Bluedot. Most of my loads have been with the 180 gr. bullets. :drinks:

82nd airborne
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=jdgabbard;972246]No offense, but I think the 10mm is going to be pretty lacking in taking white tail.

Ive killed two with a glock 40.

thx997303
08-18-2010, 11:40 PM
JT is not lying about the velocity numbers.

And for the record, I hate Glocks.

dk17hmr
08-18-2010, 11:41 PM
.....before I'll believe you're pumping round after round out of your Glock with a load that exceeds published 41mag data....

I shot that load and saw the chrono screen reading 1400+ fps. Its stout and not for everyone. I inspected the spent cases and there wasnt anything screaming over pressure....it is however a freight train load, its going to be hard to stop it.

9.3X62AL
08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
The only "caveat" I would lever in here would be the same I'd give one of the Rice Rocket HondaMotor race-car mavens--running mechanisms at upper end of safety margins shortens mechanism lifespans in most cases. That is all.

800-X, eh? That is MISERABLE stuff to meter, about like sub-compact hockey-pucks.

JTknives
08-19-2010, 12:38 AM
ya, its not my plinking round that's for sure but it will drop an elk. its just amazing to get that power out of an auto pistol.

softpoint
08-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Didn't i read somewhere that Ted Nugent killed a Cape buffalo with his 10mm?:smile:

JTknives
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
to give you an idea the recoil this round makes here is Doug (dk17hmr) shooting my glock with my hot load of 210gr WFN at 1400fps+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91j-MOxKZow

82nd airborne
08-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I bet that kind of velocity relies heavily on the pink muffs. If you were to sport camo, olive drab, or something else girly, you will likely only reach about 1000fps, and this is purely scientifical.

mpmarty
08-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I recently ran off some 10mm loads with 200gr condom h/ps using AA9 and was amazed at how clean this stuff burns. I used new Starline cases and after shooting the brass still looked new inside. I'm impressed. 12.5gr of that stuff works quite nicely. Pink ear muffs of course.

TomAM
08-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Wilson, a wide flat nose is important for a solid bullet to be lethal, but with an auto there are trade-offs. Generally, the wider the nose, the shorter the cartridge OAL must be, both for feeding and magazine fit. That of course effects powder space. I designed #40190P in the Accuratemolds.com catalog for the 40 S&W Glock, and several mold blocks gave their lives in the effort. I'd sure like to know how it fits the Glock 20. The SAAMI spec for allowable bullet nose outside the case is .017 shorter for the 10mm, but since the nose length in the Glock 40 is limited by the rounded edges of the double-stack magazine, it might fit just fine. I'll send you some boolits to try if you PM me your contact info.

kodiakken
08-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Wilson, you could contact Veral Smith at LBT about a WFN bullet mold for 10mm. Double Tap uses his bullets in one of their loadings.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,195115.0.html

Here is his email address: LBTisAccuracy@localnet.com

I have several of his molds and I think they are top quality molds. In fact, I just got a four cavity 180 gr WFN mold from him but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Good luck,

Ken Gordon
Fairbanks, Alaska

JTknives
08-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Wilson, a wide flat nose is important for a solid bullet to be lethal, but with an auto there are trade-offs. Generally, the wider the nose, the shorter the cartridge OAL must be, both for feeding and magazine fit. That of course effects powder space. I designed #40190P in the Accuratemolds.com catalog for the 40 S&W Glock, and several mold blocks gave their lives in the effort. I'd sure like to know how it fits the Glock 20. The SAAMI spec for allowable bullet nose outside the case is .017 shorter for the 10mm, but since the nose length in the Glock 40 is limited by the rounded edges of the double-stack magazine, it might fit just fine. I'll send you some boolits to try if you PM me your contact info.

the meplat for your 40sw boolit seams a little overly large. i made mine at 72% and its just about perfect. the WFN that Double tap uses i would consider to have to large of a meplat.

this is what i did to solve my long bullet problem, but these rounds are seated very long at 1.39" vs 1.26" book max

http://www.jtcustomknives.com/calendar/files/1/milled%20mag%201.jpg

http://www.jtcustomknives.com/calendar/files/1/milled%20mag%202.jpg

http://www.jtcustomknives.com/calendar/files/1/milled%20mag%203.jpg

thx997303
08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
It feeds those eh?

9.3X62AL
08-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Slick. I like it. A lot.

harley45
08-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I'll agree with the 72% meplant idea here I have a keith style bullet for my 10mms that I copied from and article by Glenn on the .401 powermag and it is a very accurate hard hitting slug!

Blammer
08-20-2010, 03:35 PM
There is a 10mm 200gr Group buy going on now.

Not a WFN but should have adequate meplat for hunting, plus you can get the HP option if you want.

Wilson
08-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Thank a million Kodiakken! I have contacted Vernal Smith via e-mail. This looks like just what I need. Is your 4 cavity 180 grain bullet for use in a Glock? It seems like most folks like the 200 grain bullet, but I'm thinking the 180 grain will be good for what I'm planning.

mike o
07-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks JT for sharing the data and details of your load and experiences.
Does anyone have any thoughts on water quenched wheel weights being pushed to 1,100 to 1,200 fps or 1,300 fps or more? Is the hardness of a lead bullet a factor at these velocities or a non-issue?
I was hoping to get a mold recommendation. It seems folks have been having trouble with the Lyman molds, would RCBS or another be the better choice?
Hi, I am using a RCBS mould, 180gr round nose in 10mm. They go from the melter, to the mould then into the 5 gal water bucket. I should have mentioned using straight wheel weights. At 100 yards I'm well with in the kill zone with either my Glock 20 or my S&W 610-3 (~ three inch barrel). Hockey pucks and empty soda cans,, no problem. They leave the bore at ~ 1350 fps with no signs of leading. And no, no gas check used although accuracy would improve more so. I question the 100 yard shots but if the occasion occurred there would be meat on the table. I shoot standing one hand and the recoil, to me, is no worse than my T/C 35 Rem. Lee also makes a nice mould in Al. and it's with six cavities. Good luck.

pmer
05-14-2016, 12:27 PM

This thread is really old but had to laugh at "deer drop faster than a fat guy falling through a folding camp chair" LOL

I had to ask if that WFN group buy ever went through? I bought a NOE 403 200 grain WFN mold and that seems to fit the bill nicely for a 10mm hunting boolit. My G40 seems to like this round with 13.0 grains of AA# 9 at 1.255'' with large pistol primers. Air cooled 14 BHN.

It flings the brass pretty far, does anyone use heavier recoil springs with loads like these? I was thinking of getting a heavier spring to be a little easier on the pistol.