PDA

View Full Version : hard lube in cold weather...

canuck4570
09-02-2006, 09:03 AM
I am lubing my bullet for my 4570 whith hard lube and going moose hunting in october and I will be shooting in the 0 to 45 degree temp..... will this hard lube give me problem.....

stocker
09-02-2006, 11:06 AM
canuck4570- I have a rifle which fired it's best ever groups at -20C with boolits lubed with LBT hard blue lube. The same loads didn't shoot nearly as well in summer temps. Lube failure? I doubt it in this case. More likely it was a differential in powder burn/pressure development as I was using IMR 4831. However I adjusted the load until I was blue in the face (and not from the cold which it wasn't at that point) and could not get similar groups again with that powder. Assuming you are using a powder that is not extremely temperature sensitive you will probably be fine for hunting old slobber nose. My groups only opened with a 50C temeperature change, didn't become unusable for hunting purposes.
If possible try to get a range session just prior to the hunt in temperatures similar to what you'll encounter hunting to see how your combination works. It will bring you peace of mind if nothing else.