PDA

View Full Version : Parkerizing a S&W J-Frame

brianintheup
08-13-2010, 10:54 PM
The blueing has worn off my carry gun. I have used cold blue on some of my other guns thought about using it on my 38, but I was also considering parkerizing it.

Any input?

I have read several articals about parkerizing and it sound simple, but if you dip a revolver what does theparkerizing finish do to the barrel?

Brian

akajun
08-14-2010, 09:49 AM
As far as the bore and cylinder chambers go, you do not want to park them, it will rough them up. When I parkerize anything with a non chrome lined barrell I plug the ends with wooden dowels that I taper with a belt sander and hammer in. I have heard of people who will take varnish and coat the insides of the cylinders and bores, then park, then soak the parts in Acetone afterwards to disolve the park, but I have never done that.

You are right though, parkerizing is easy, but proper equipment and prep is required for a good job. An abrasive blaster is a must. For one gun you can get away with a small handheld blaster for about $20 and a large cardboard box. Degrease thoroughly with a srubbrush and brake cleaner. You will need either a stainless tank or a big pyrex cooking bowl on top of a hotplate with a candy thermometer for years. I used old stainless steam trays for years that I got from school cafateria's.

Lastly the solution, forget the home brews, just buy a small bottle of the Brownells solution. After parking, spray down with wd40 and let cool.

For a great durable finish, spray and bake Gunkote on top of the park.

brianintheup
08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
That's what I was wondering with the bore and cylinder. I was going to buy a kit (not home brew). Thanks for the input.

leadman
08-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Instaed of parkerizing, why not use Duracoat? I've done a couple guns with it and it is easy to do and very durable. Wide choice of colors too.
Bead blast, clean with acetone, spray, bake, done.

Mk42gunner
08-16-2010, 02:19 AM
A fresh grey parkerized hadgun looks very businesslike. If I were to go to the trouble of beadblasting, I would go with the parkerizing.

Of course I have been called old fashioned before, or was that just old???

Robert

Denver
08-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Rust blue it. Much nicer and not difficult with Laurel Mountain browning/blue formula.