PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits from a LEE mold

358 Win
08-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Guys,
I have a dumb question. Been casting with RCBS and Lyman molds exclusively. I now purchased a Lee mold #358-158 SWCGC. Will I be able to seat gas checks and lube on my Lyman 450 sizer/lubricator.? I won't have to use liquid alox and Lee's push
thru gas check seating will I? Please help!!!!!
358 Win

08-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Yep, the 450 will seat the gas check and lube and size your new Lee boolits the same as your Lyman and RCBS boolits.

Elkins45
08-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Yes, that's a conventional bullet design. Your Lyman press won't know the difference unless you tell it. The ones that don't respond well to conventional lubrication are the tumble lube designs, and they are designated TL in the description.

wiljen
08-14-2010, 08:14 AM
there is a Top punch cross reference on castpics.net that helps as they do not make punches specifically for Lee boolits. You can also make your own punches if you find one with no match, Buckshot makes a kit for this that is first rate. (Spoken as a satisfied customer).

358 Win
08-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Guys, thanks for the quick response to my Lee bullet question. I learned something from each
reply! Only been here a few days but you guys are great. When I asked the question last nite it
really struck me that, "What if I can't size, seat GC, and lube using my Lyman 450 sizer. I will remember when ordering Lee molds to not order any with the TL in the mold number. For over 30years I have been using the Lyman 450 and did not want to change at this time.
Thanks,
358 Win

mroliver77
08-14-2010, 10:39 AM
I have one TL design I bought by accident that I size and lube in the 450 with success. Worst offender is the bevel based designs and they can be overcome with a little ingenuity.(or a Star lube sizer)
And WELCOME 358 Win
Jay

358 Win
08-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome Mroliver77. I like it here a lot. A wealth of information and knowledge. So
far the guys don't seem "uppidty" and are willing to share their knowledge. I'm 58 and have been
doing the casting thing for 30+ years. Used to shoot competitively with my handguns but now concentrate on rifles. Lost a lot of my vision clarity due to aging and diebeties so can't see the front
site on open sites. Sure do miss my handgun shooting. Put a red dot site on my target .22RF pistol and it turned out to be an awesome improvement for me. My next goal is to shoot a Pa Whitetail deer with a cast bullet!!
358 Win

AzShooter
08-14-2010, 08:39 PM
358 Put a red dot on your .357 and enjoy shooting it more. I too am 58 with diabeties and am having a dificult time with my front sights but with my red dot I do very well. It's so much easier to see the dot and where it is on the target.

It's all for fun so take any advantage you want.

Volowner
08-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Since you're using a SWC, for a top punch, use anything designed for a flat nose. I have one punch I've ground off totally flat that I use for almost everything. In fact, I don't think I cast anything without a nice big meplat. It's truly a one-size-fits-all top punch no matter what brand of mold you're using.

sqlbullet
08-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Like mroliver77 I have run some TL's through my Lachmiller. Worked fine. Don't do it regularly, cause they work fine will LLA + JPW and I can lube 100 bullets with that stuff in about 5 minutes of my time/