oksmle
08-13-2010, 07:36 PM
This is forwarded from another forum. I have not checked nor confirmed
this. It's a start for your research and experimentation. Ed

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested various penetrants for break-
out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective
test of all the popular penetrants, with the control being the torque
required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.

Note that the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this
one particular test. A local machinist group has mixed up a batch and all now
of them use it with equally good results.

Notice also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of
the price.

This was sent to me by email and I have not verified but am going to try the
homemade mix myself.

Tom-ADC
08-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm an old aircraft mechanic & don't see my favorite on the list "Oil of Wintergreen" I have never found anything I like as well and I still use it.

felix
08-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Yep, true. Always try ATF first with or without a solvent. Learned that while making lubes. Add 30 percent lanolin for tough-nut case sizing jobs. No lanolin for normal FL sizing, and wash cases using either acetone if in a hurry, or mineral spirits if not in a hurry. Keep reusing the solvent over and over until too much "wax" if left on the cases for priming. ... felix

cajun shooter
08-17-2010, 08:55 AM
The very nature of ATF makes it a wonderful penetrating oil and has been used in the mechanics trade for years. The old neighborhood mechanic used ATF and varosol in his shop and told me about it around 1959.He even poured it down the carb on a rough running engine while keeping up the rpm's and it would smoke like crazy and then smooth out.

Moonie
08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Interesting to note that Eds Red isn't far off the 50/50 transmission fluid/acetone.

1 part ATF
1 part Acetone
1 part kerosene
1 part mineral spirits

I do add some lanolin but not as much as the original recipe.

azrednek
08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm surprised Maltby didn't make the list. I'm not even sure if they are still around. I know Maltby used to be popular with auto mechanics in the 60 and 70's but either has fallen out of favor or is no longer made. During the 70's when the govt regs forced many of the aerosol lubricants to stop using a freon based evaporant and many if not all changed to an alcohol type evaporant. Auto mechanics complained that penetrating oils were not nearly as effective. Years ago auto mechanics used WD-40 to dry out wet or damp distributer caps. If one tried it with today's WD-40 at best there will be just an oily mess.

KCSO
08-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Boy and here I am stuck with a Gallon of Kroil. I'll have to settle for second best for a while. I will have to look see what is in the can I got from Gramps, it's some kind of graphite based penetrating oil that he used in the 30's. I also still have a can of Marvel Mystery Oil that he used on his air tools.

sundog
08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Used Ed's Red to soak a Mauser barrel prior to take off. Yup, came off, no problemo...

SmuvBoGa
08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Easy to mix. Easy to use altho it doesn't repel SHMBO like Ballistol [smilie=1:

Char-Gar
08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Ed's Red when placed on a good Arkansas stone, makes the best honing oil for shapening knives I have ever found. It will keep the stone clean and biting.

S.R.Custom
08-20-2010, 01:03 AM
...During the 70's when the govt regs forced many of the aerosol lubricants to stop using a freon based evaporant and many if not all changed to an alcohol type evaporant. Auto mechanics complained that penetrating oils were not nearly as effective...

It was a dark day under the shade tree when the penetrating oil MFRs were forced to take the Benzene out. Liquid Wrench, my fave, was no better than kerosene after that.

Bret4207
08-20-2010, 07:48 AM
The one place OB Blaster exceeds ATF is in the solvent area. I had an old wagon running gear, On of the front axles was froze solid with dried grease. This is the upright part that allows the axle to steer, not sure what it's called. Heat didn't do anything. WD40 did nothing. Old guy down the road, gone for a 8-10 years now, stopped and had some Blaster in his truck.He sprayed it down good and said to wait 5 minutes. In 5 minutes the axle was turning.

Blaster works good for that. For sheer rust loosening, nothing works better than ATF/Kero, ATF/Acetone except HEAT. Heat always wins.