PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Lee 200 grain .44 RF into a hollowpoint mould?

Ohio Rusty
08-12-2010, 09:11 PM
I was thinking of getting the two banger Lee 200 grain RF mould in .44 caliber. I would like to make one of those bullets a hollowpoint. I've seen pics of someone on here that made a pin with handle and modifying a mould to make it a hollowpoint boolit. I think I might like that 200 grain RF for deer hunting (Contender) if I could make it a hollowpoint. Has anyone one here tried the pin/handle thing with a Lee mould? Who is the listmember that does the modifying please?
Thanks ....
Ohio Rusty ><>

EDK
08-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Get a two cavity LYMAN 427666...basically the same boolit. PM Buckshot or do a search for Eric at HPmoulds...don't remember the web address. The iron mould is a lot more suitable for the conversion.

theperfessor
08-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I think the Lee two cavity molds would take a little work to make into a HP mold. The vertical alignment system uses a horizontal steel pin that mates with a half round groove on the other half. This pin is secured into the block on either end, so if you cut it in the middle it would probably fall out. I would think this pin would have to be removed and a new alignment method worked out before proceeding with the HP work.

If you just want to try a few just use one of many methods to drill a HP in your solids.

EDK also suggests a good option if you want to put a little more money in it.

There are several folks here that do HP work.

Doby45
08-12-2010, 11:43 PM
In speaking with Buckshot he does not HP the Lee 2 cavity molds for the very reason theperfessor states. Either do the HPing to the boolit with a drill bit or find a mold you really like in steel and have Buckshot do it. And 44 molds are very common..

MT Gianni
08-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I would get Jim In Az kit to HP with a drill if you are sold on the profile. He is under Vender sponsers.

Moonie
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I talked to Eric about HP'ing Lee molds over a year ago, he said the 2 cav probably isn't doable but he thought the 6 cav might be at least on a few of the cavities. Said he hasn't done it but would be willing to give it a try.

Doby45
08-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Yhea, the 6cav would not be a problem as there is nothing below the cavities, unlike the 2cav.

Ohio Rusty
08-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I hadn't considered the issue of the steel alignment pins in the mould. I saw a few hollowpoint .44's online, but I'm trying to stay away from the big 260 to 300 grain moulds if I can. That big recoil from a heavier bullet isn't enjoyable. a 200 grain hollow point should do fine on deer sized animals. The .41 caliber hollowpoint boolits that are 200 grain weight are quite effective. That is why I'm leaning toward the lighter bullet. I'll keep my eyes open and research my options further.
I just paid for the .44 14 inch bull barrel for my contender today. Now I need to make everything else come together.
Thanks all for your input. I really appreciate your advice !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

justingrosche
08-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I have that 2 cavity mold that I'd let go cheap. Not a fan. Lube grooves are so damned shallow that I either tumble lube them or deepen the grooves with my cannular tool.
Justin

madsenshooter
08-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Dear fellow Hocking Countian, this is not a good idea, all the deer in Hocking County are mine! No, only the big ones! Anything over 6 point! Just kidding of course, what do you think of that deal with 6000 acres of Sunday Creek land being purchased as a wildlife area? Seemed like a good thing for that rich fellow to do with his money at the end, but it sure sewed up any growth for Murray City. At least the land won't ever again be stripped, nor my favorite squirrel plot logged. I may be moving back soon, tired of these flatlands!

PS: You could also go here: http://brp.castpics.net/P1.html and see what BaBore has to offer, good prices, 1st rate quality, and you get the mold with hollowpoint pin already done.

Ohio Rusty
08-13-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm glad to see it never being logged again. I see the logging truck go by one after another and you just hate to see the national Forest raped time and time again. I've not been there to see the area, but that is aloty of area for the deer and turkeys to roam. Maybe I'll see if anyone on the list has a devistator mould and see if they will cast me some of those to try. I fired a .240 grainer from an 8 inch octagon barrel contender last week ...and it wasn't very comfortable for sure.
Maybe a 14 inch bull barrel will tame that some so I can shoot a heaver bullet. Not sure what to do yet as my experience with .44's is not much.
I'll leave you a few spikes and forky's you can shoot at <BG>
Ohio Rusty ><>

madsenshooter
08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
I'll take the spikes and forky's! Better eating anyway! Yeah, I think your longer barrel will tame a lot of that recoil, and remember, you don't necessarily have to load to "magnum" velocities. After linking to BaBore I noticed he only had 250gr or more, but the quality of his molds is top notch. I have one coming for 35 Remington for hunting feral hogs and maybe coyotes. (Don't tell anyone, it's just an excuse for me to be packing a high powered rifle in the woods back home.) Season is always open, only restrictions on the gun used is during the deer gun season.

mooman76
08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I was working on a Lee 314 SWC, 2c mould, turning it into a HB mould. It got too hot in my garage to finish the project so it is on hold for now. I also have limited resources so it is slow going. I am trying to make it with stationary pind like a cramer style mould. I am concerened that it may not drop from the cavity with stationary pins so it that happens I will just replace the pins with a plug and make a WC mould out of it.
To get around the alignment pins I removed them first and drilled the holes for the pins. I am using bolts cut down below the threads and I will grind the end to a point to make the pins for the hollow base. I cut the alignment pin in half and replaced it. Not a professional machinest job but I think doable.

mroliver77
08-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Rusty.
I could hollow point a handfull of your boolits if you want to send them to NW Ohio. I do have some heavier .44 HP from on of Miha's molds. I would turn you on to some if you like.
Jay

madsenshooter
08-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Rusty, there's a group buy going now that you might be interested in also: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86539 You'll have to dig around to find the pricing, delivery time, etc.

OOPS! SORRY IT'S CLOSED< BUT IF YOU PM MIHEC.....AND BEG JUST A LITTLE