PDA

View Full Version : American Reloaders Association Bulletins???

mtnman31
08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I recently got a binder of American Reloaders Association bulletins, all dated from the mid 1960's. Seeing how I was born ten years after these were published I don't know much about them. The bulletins seem to be a mix of reloading data, shooting/reloading tips, shooting industry news and a bit of obligatory editorial material. I had never heard of the ARA and was curious if anyone had any history or insight about the ARA and their bulletins. I did notice that the technical staff included P.O. Ackley and Frank Barnes.

Cherokee
08-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I have a binder of ARA bulletins. I was an early member in 1963. I was really sad when it died, I think, in about 1970, don't remember why. I really liked the information and "let's try it" approach to different ideas.

Bret4207
08-13-2010, 06:46 AM
I think I still have a cloth embroidered patch from them somewhere. Lots of neat organizations have gone by over the years.

lmcollins
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
If I remember correctly (it was stsrted while I was in high school) it was started, or sponsored by "Gun World" or "Guns and Ammo" magazine.

I think that Dean Grinnel was the big shot. Wasn/t he with "Gun World?"

Buckshot
08-14-2010, 01:48 AM
If I remember correctly (it was stsrted while I was in high school) it was started, or sponsored by "Gun World" or "Guns and Ammo" magazine.

I think that Dean Grinnel was the big shot. Wasn/t he with "Gun World?"

.............Yes he was. He was my favorite gunwriter too. :-)

............Buckshot

Bent Ramrod
08-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I found a file of those too, a while back. Some pretty interesting stuff in there. The bulletins seemed to cease around the time Handloader magazine started publishing. Maybe that magazine siphoned off all the writers from the American Reloader's Association and put the bulletin out of business.

Bad Water Bill
08-15-2010, 12:16 AM
I think I still have a couple copies around somewhere. The best way to get info on that and Dean Grennelle would be to contact his old shooting partner. JOHN LEE. In Johns book he mentions many projects the two of them did at the Lee range. The last time I talked to John was a couple of years ago so am not sure if he is still with us.

DukeInFlorida
08-28-2012, 03:51 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PATCH-A-R-A-American-Reloaders-Association-/00/$%28KGrHqUOKj0E1%29D72DPgBNq8%294TNv!~~_3.JPG

I think I still have a cloth embroidered patch from them somewhere. Lots of neat organizations have gone by over the years.