PDA

View Full Version : Belding & Mull Powder Thrower

stephen perry
08-12-2010, 07:36 AM
I have one. I have allot of powder throwers 3 Lyman/Ideal, RCBS, lil Dandy, Redding, Culver inserts, Jones inserts, Hollywood, B&M, Bruno. All except for the B&M wil cut long grain powders that's their nature. The B&M has a better design for long grain powder that places the short pieces of spaghetti powder in a nice little coffin and when the lever is slid sideways drops them into a brass tube that you monitor for charge volume. How could it get any easier than that. No cutting the coffin stays full for each drop after the lever is returned. Admittadly slow but aren't most of us when throwing powder. I will use my B&M for my benchrest loading and I have one the best most expensive units out there, the Bruno thrower. I believe in what these benchrest guys did back in the 50-60's and want to show them respect using one of their better designs, many B&M throwers used in those days.

For Cast benchrest I have several barrels that I want to screw on and dedicate them for Cast work. I have a Shilen .222 barrel that I can screw on my HV rifle .246 nk. I have allot of stuff but most I bought off retired shooters at a good price always a good price. Just like molds there must be 2 zillion molds out there most in wood boxes looking to be discovered. Warms my heart when I can get an Ideal mold from from a more senior than me and continue with their dreams of Casting better bullets. I have 4 boxes of Casting equipment in Utah that has been promised to me, need to make a trip to Utah, probably go to Springdale and shoot BR next year so I can pick up the Cast boxes, hope to get a SAECO 20 lb dipping pot. Some of the Utah Cast stuff I will share with my retired Cast bud in Arizona.

Cast goes on and on no matter what the new technocrats make out of it. My suggest and I am a young pup at Cast only 47 years is build your library. I have built my Cast library not just in manuals but those guys that wrote for magazines back in the 50-80's gave us some good stuff, magazines like Handloader, Rifle, Shooting Times, American Rifleman, Precision Shooting, and trade journals. I still look for more. i bought Mann's the Bullets Flight, mostly Cast shooting. Try and find a Sharpe's Complete book on Handloading, I would settle for Sharpe's book if I could only have one book on handloading, it is that good. I have all the Lyman handbooks back to 36. Each manual has a Cast section, valuable to the green guys and the coots like myself. Trust but verify, get the tools to do the verifying, just like I do on Cast Boolits.

I gotta go to work another day in the San Bernardino County desert, I look forward to it every day. Off tommorrow get to shoot. Will load some Cast in my .222 Rem 722. Also will load some Cast in my 6x47 Rem 788. What Cast will you guys shoot this weekend?

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Green Frog
08-12-2010, 08:01 AM
We'll be shooting .38 revolvers and 45 autos (cast bullets, of course) at the range this weekend, along with some (gasp) swaged lead rifle bullets in our .32s. I am doing a product test of a new vendor's schuetzen bullets, so my partner and I will shoot some fixed rounds in his custom Japanese .32-40 low-wall and some breech seated rounds in the same rifle as well as my Douglas-barreled Peregrine. I'm looking forward to seeing whether somebody can make a swaged bullet that shoots with my cast bullets!

Froggie

stephen perry
08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I have 3 Turkish Mausers. One is a carbine model, from the military arsenal. The other 2 are the long johns full of cosmoline. Last year I bought new cases, dies, and box of Sierra bullets. I have a RCBS mold to Cast 8mm bullets. I will load some jacketed to sight in and start Casting soon. I will load for shoot the carbine.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Bret4207
08-13-2010, 06:56 AM
I believe if you check you'll find the B+M cuts long grain powders too, it just does it in such a manner that you don't feel it. There's no way a grain of powder isn't going to get cut if it's in the way.

I love my B+M.

stephen perry
08-13-2010, 09:38 AM
You know though Bret that once in the coffin the long grain stick powders lay flat and the micrometer charge tubes only accept so much volume so whole grains or pieces that charge comes out near perfect each time. The powder thrower that come close to my B&M for consistent throwing is my Redding standard.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR