PDA

View Full Version : messy lubing

spelunkerrn
08-11-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm loading for a .40-65 RB and its going well. The part I hate is lubing the bullets. I came up with this concoction that I read somewhere on some forum: equal measures bees wax, olive oil and Murphy's oil soap. It works well to keep fouling soft but its a pain to apply. I've tried pan lubing, rubbing it on by hand and my bullets end up looking like melted candles. Because new toys are fun, I've decided to buy a lubrisizer. The RCBS one gets good reviews. What if I just want to lube the bullets, not size them? Is that possible and do I need a special die or what? any advice on getting started with one? Thanks.

NickSS
08-12-2010, 06:10 AM
I use a 410 sizing die and my mold casts .4095 bullets so they are not sized but do get lube on them and little mess. I use home made lube consisting of 50-50 bees wax and crisco then I add 2 ounces of olive oil per 8 oz of lube. I have been using it for about 20 years and have had good luck with it.

cajun shooter
08-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Contact Buckshot on this forum and have him make you a Kate Cutter for using in your pan lubing process. You need it to be at least .002 on each side over your dropped bullet size. If your mold drops .410 bullets then have him make it .414 His cutters are top notch and make lubing large bullets a "Kate walk"Later David