PDA

View Full Version : Scout scope question.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I have a Leupold scout scope mounted out in front of the receiver of my 336 using one of those SX scope rails. I really like this system, seems fast and reliable, also like how the QR rings allow me to quickly remove the scope and mount on another rifle. Now my question has to do with rear sights mounted on the receiver. I am looking for a rear sight recommendation so that I have something to use as a backup. Also I am not quite clear how a rear iron sight will affect scope use, so anyone mind clarifying?

Thanks in for any input.

Doubletap
08-12-2010, 12:15 AM
I use a Burris Scout Scope on my Marlin .444 with the same XS mount system. I use the Leupold QRW rings as well for QD capability. I have a Lyman 66 base mounted on the left side of the receiver, where the factory drilled and tapped holes are. I leave the slide portion off and carry it in an inside pocket while hunting. Since it maintains zero when replaced, all I have to do is slide it back on and remove scope. One less thing to grab brush and trash while still hunting that way. Quite honestly I haven't tried the scope sight picture with the slide in place. To use the scope fast and efficiently however I need to use a 3/8" leather comb pad to perfectly center my sight picture on the scope.

helice
08-12-2010, 01:21 AM
I'll double tap what Doubletap said. My scout mount is on a 444 Winchester big bore.

The Marlins work better than the Big Bore Winchesters for the Williams and Lyman receiver sights cause their mount holes are on the side as opposed to on top. A tang sight works well too. Just fold it down till you need it.

Larry Gibson
08-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I've several scout rifles and have used others in the past. I have/had reciever sights on a M94 Win, M600 Rem, Savage scout , M91, M96, M98 Mausers and the M1A. All the scout scopes were mounted as low as possible, as they should be, and the reciever sights were barely noticeable when using the scope. I also use an EOTech mounted over the top of the hand guard forward in front of the carrying handle scout scope hashion. The dot is coaxial with the iron sights and can be used in conjunction with them or I simply look over the top of the rear sight, place the dot on target and smoothly pull the trigger. It is faster and more accurate than any other sighting system.

The scout rifle has it's place and is very good for many shooting situations but it is not the end all for a hunting/scouting rifle. Since I use them obviously I find them satsfactory in many conditions. If the scope is mounted correctly and the reciever sight is also then I have not found a problem with the reciever sight detracting when the scope is used in any way. I find the M94 with the Burris 1.5X in a Burris M94 scout base for the M94 to be a very handy and useful combination. It is comforting to have the reciever sight there in case the scope goes Tango Uiniform, they do you know....even the best of them and always when you need the rifle the most.

Larry Gibson

2ndAmendmentNut
08-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

pietro
08-13-2010, 06:47 PM
FWIW, I used a scout-scoped Marlin, with the short Xs leverScout mount/rail, that went fromt the rear barrel sight dovetail to the front receiver scope mount holes.

I also left an XS top-mount receiver peep and an XS WhiteLine front sight mounted.

There were never any scope=using issues, with the iron sights in place.

So, since I had never actually had cause to remove the scope even once in 7 years, I removed the XS peep and installed it on another rifle, where it got used.