PDA

View Full Version : Found this today on Youtube

dragonrider
08-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Found this today, do you think the previous shot was a squib?? Notice in the slowmos that nothing exits the barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftq9hNpvBc&feature=related

Changeling
08-11-2010, 05:06 PM
This has to be some kind of con/prank !

OutHuntn84
08-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Sucks to be him!

HeavyMetal
08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Here's my thoughts on this;

Range rental gun lots of hot loads through it

Looks like stainless steel

No bullet exits muzzle.

I think the gun just had the living snot shot out of it and the barrel threads failed!

That would account for the barrel going down range but not destroying the cylinder or frame as a blow up ( plugged barrel) would.

Simple mechanical failure due to lack of inspection between rentals coupled with a supply of hot loads for it's entire life!

hoosierlogger
08-11-2010, 05:59 PM
The previous shot kicked too much for nothing to come out of it. The bang sounded the same. Id say the gun was just a victim of thread failure like HeavyMetal said

Old Caster
08-11-2010, 06:44 PM
An awful lot of blast out of the sides of the cylinder which points to blocked barrel or over load. Notice the barrel flew a distance which means something has to block the barrel to get forward pressure from the cylinder. It would be easy to ruin the threads and slide the barrel in just to get an U Tube moment. It is best to believe very little of what you see there because it is a venue for distortion.

Doc Highwall
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I hate to say this but a friend of mine had a Ruger do that to him an he only shoots factory ammunition. Looking at the gun it looked like when the gun was made that the barrel was over torqued by the grain structure that could be seen and the crack showed evidence that it held up for a while before launching the barrel. He had probably 100 rounds through the gun when it happened and Ruger gave him a new gun.

uncle joe
08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
+1 on what old caster said, my dad and i were plinking with an old chiefs special one day and as dad made a shot i was looking at the gun, huge flame out the sides in front of the cylinder, I told him to wait before he shot again and sure enough the bullet lodged in the barrel. I imagine if he had made that next shot something like what happened in the video would have happened to us.

44man
08-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Looks like a blocked barrel to me too. Just too much flash from the gap.
Had many boolits stick in the bore when working .454 loads at starting loads of 296. You MUST pay attention to every shot. I had to take a brass rod and hammer down to my range.
Years ago I had factory loads stick boolits when shooting .38's from a .357.
99.9% of revolver failures are due to a boolit in the bore. The balance would be over loads or double charges.

Changeling
08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
I liked this one a lot better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWO-EzoIbSs&feature=related

BOOM BOOM
08-13-2010, 04:32 PM
OUCH!!!!!
Glad that was not me, or 1 of my guns.

Changeling
08-13-2010, 05:22 PM
OUCH!!!!!
Glad that was not me, or 1 of my guns.

I once had a "BAR" empty (06 round) find it's way down the back of my neck till I shook it out at the bottom of my T shirt, OUCH is a mild word, trust me, LOL!

jblee10
08-13-2010, 10:57 PM
I once had a 22 shell from a semi auto rifle fly into my young girls cowboy boot. Actually burned her enough to leave a small scar and make one father feel like a heal.

Doc Highwall
08-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I asked my shooting buddy yesterday what caliber was the Ruger that he had that launched the barrel and he said it was a 22Lr. I had pictures of it with my old computer that died.

Four Fingers of Death
08-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Heather rocks!

Changeling
08-21-2010, 06:26 PM
I asked my shooting buddy yesterday what caliber was the Ruger that he had that launched the barrel and he said it was a 22Lr. I had pictures of it with my old computer that died.

It doesn't look like a .22 to me, but whatever! Another thing that came to mind was why was someone behind him taking pictures of his hands/revolver and somewhat down range if something wasn't expected to happen? This was a set up![smilie=l:

Doc Highwall
08-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Changeling, I am saying the gun my shooting buddy was shooting that launched the barrel was a 22Lr Ruger and you could see that the barrel steel was fractured when the barrel was tightened on the frame. We could see after the barrel was launched the blackening and the clean part where it was still attached when it left the factory.

Four Fingers of Death
08-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Probably ended up with a split forcing cone, the last straw on the camel's back so to speak and the barrel's thread area flexed just enough with a hot load to pop it off. A better result than having the top strap and cylinders go.

Changeling
08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Changeling, I am saying the gun my shooting buddy was shooting that launched the barrel was a 22Lr Ruger and you could see that the barrel steel was fractured when the barrel was tightened on the frame. We could see after the barrel was launched the blackening and the clean part where it was still attached when it left the factory.

Thanks Doc, that makes things a lot clearer.