PDA

View Full Version : "Starter" mold, etc for 45/70 ...

ghh3rd
08-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I've got the itch for a Marlin Model 1895G Guide Gun in .45/70. I've hunted a total of three times, last winter, and didn't see anything to shoot my SBH .44 at. This year I will start early and try to go often.

I am in the list mode, trying to figure out how to get a 45/70. Let's see, I could sell that Walther P22... and that old Evinrude 6. What else do I have laying around, perhaps the old albums ;)

One item on my list is a mold, since naturally this will be a CB gun. I guess the first mold will have to be a Lee due to limited funds. Any suggestions?

Another thing on my list is a recoil pad. I'd rather wimp out and start off with something more comfortable than the stock pad. I've read about three pads, the Limbsaver, Pachmyer Decelerator, and the Kick-EEZE, listed by cost high to low. I learned long ago that more expensive doesn't always mean better. Any advice on pads?

Someday I'd like to add a scope -- that will be another question for another day.

I certainly don't need all of the power that this rifle offers, but figure I can load it down for our short range Florida hog and deer hunting, and keep it comfortable for my 13 yr old son, or and load it heavy for squirrels :-)

Randy

Maven
08-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Randy, The Lee 457-340-F is a good mold to start with for your Marlin, particularly if you don't exceed ~1,350 fps as it doesn't carry a lot of lube. I use it @ .459" in my Marlin and find it to be quite accurate, light recoiling, and economical to cast @ 340 grs. WW + 1% Sn.

Tom-ADC
08-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Since I shoot single shot rifles can't help on the mold except maybe something around 300 to 405 grains.
But at the range I use one of those Past magnum recoil pads that fit over your shirt, the heavest 535 gr boolits are a piece of cake I shoot 50 to 100 at a time.

jh45gun
08-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Another good one is the Lee HB .459 405 grain bullet I have shot it in a Handi Rifle a Rolling Block with a Green Mountain barrel and now my Guide gun. It has worked well with every one of them. I have gotten the best results though with my guide gun it seems to love that bullet.

missionary5155
08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Greetings
Any Boolit in caliber .45 rifle is going to be big enough for any deer we will ever see.
A nice average size between 300 -400 grains will take care of critters right up to Buff.
IF you are going the Marlin route be advised they need a FAT boolit as the throats of all Marlins I have seen are at .460+. So I would recommend the Ranch Dog molds to get you into a large enough diameter rifle boolit. There are also Group Buy molds about that would fill the need but they would cost some dollars more.

ghh3rd
08-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks - all great info. Regarding the RD boolits, glad he's back up and running again!

Dogg
08-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but.... Ranch Dog is up and running again, Really!
I am also looking for a good mold for my 45/70, been watching for a Ranch Dog one for over half year with no luck. If you find a good boolit and load please post and let me know where and what mold you got.

giz189
08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I installed a limbsaver on my Marlin CB and also on my T/C Encore they work really nice.

Mk42gunner
08-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I haven't used the Limbsaver or Kick-EEZE pads, but I have put the Old English style Decelerators on my rifles that require them. For light recoil, just to stop the rifle from skidding, any of them will work. If the rifle has enough recoil that you need the reduction the one inch thick one is the way to go.

If you install it yourself, mount it on the stock, then put it in the freezer for a couple of hours before grinding the pad to fit the stock. Stiff rubber cuts better with power sander.

I know you said a Lee mold, but the classic deer boolit for a .45-70 is the Gould boolit, Lyman's 457122. An approximately 330 grain hollow point.

Robert

ghh3rd
08-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but.... Ranch Dog is up and running again, Really!

That's what I heard, and looks like he's got some in the works. http://www.ranchdogmolds.com (http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/) I use Ranch Dog's TLC432-265-RF wearing a coat of Felix lube in my SBH & it works real well in my SBH.

DragoonDrake
08-12-2010, 03:54 AM
I really like the 405gr Lee in my guide gun. I have not gotten it past 100 yards yet and I keep the loads to trapdoor loadings. Nothing fancy as I can not use it to hunt deer in Ohio.

StrawHat
08-12-2010, 07:01 AM
As much as I like the 457122 (Gould boolit), it is slow to cast. Or maybe I am doing something wrong. For a practice load, something like the Lee 340 would be fine. For a hunting load, the Gould boolit is great.

Heck, practically any 45 caliber boolit will work.

Just Duke
08-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Check out the mould buys in my signature and Sci Fi Jim.

shdwlkr
08-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I just finished a group buy for a true 330 grain hollow point in 45-70.
get in touch with swede nelson he is making the molds for me and they don't go into production until December so you have time to get in on the making of the mold
Also look at Ranch dog's 350 and 425 molds for the 45-70 really like mine.
you can also use the lee 340 grain mold.

there are just so many choices in the 45-70. I started with one mold and now working on having 3.
Good luck and enjoy the caliber it has a long history of getting the job done.