PDA

View Full Version : .380 in .38special die?

2wheelDuke
08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
I've got a question, and it may be a stupid one. I've been searching for a bit and haven't found a solid answer. Maybe somebody with a reloading manual can chime in.

I just got some .380 brass, and wouldn't mind having it decapped before I tumble it. If I'm going that far, I figure it'd be even better if it was sized too.

The problem is that the .380 dies aren't here yet.

I've got the same #4 shellholder already. Can I run them thru the carbide ring on a .38/357 die, or are the dimensions too different?

I tried one, and the empty case did chamber easily in my .380.

mpmarty
08-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Mike the sized case and compare it to an unfired one. If it's within a thousandth or so I'd feel comfortable with using it. Flaring the mouth might be a problem however.

Echo
08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
According to Lee Modern Reloading, Second Edition, the base of the .380 is .374, while the base of the .38 Special is .379 - so you will be able to de-cap, but not re-size, with the .38 Special sizing die.

2wheelDuke
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the answers. I figured they'd be a couple thousandths big just based on projectile size.

I wound up just decapping them without any resizing before putting them in the tumbler. I figure the decapping pin will make sure the flash holes are clear while I'm sizing them.

Now I just need some boolits for the .380 since I don't have a mold for it yet.

9.3X62AL
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Now I just need some boolits for the .380 since I don't have a mold for it yet.

This statement proves that you have remnants of sanity and objectivity left. The truly demented (like the composer of this post) often own several moulds prior to ever having a gun to fire the boolits produced in their cavities.

I'm currently out of the 380 ACP business.

Mk42gunner
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
This statement proves that you have remnants of sanity and objectivity left. The truly demented (like the composer of this post) often own several moulds prior to ever having a gun to fire the boolits produced in their cavities.

I'm currently out of the 380 ACP business.

I resemble that remark, I have two molds for the future .38-55 that I will have. Matter of fact I'm just waiting on an afforddable donor action (Winchester Angle Eject 94) and mag tube.

Then there is the Hensley & Gibbs #256 for the .41 Magnum. Seems like there is a single cavity lyman for this one, too.

Robert

2wheelDuke
08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I guess I've gotten into things backwards according to the cast boolit nuts.

If I get dies for the Makarov and 9x19 and molds for .380 and Mak, then I'd just about have things covered, except for the 12ga, but I'd like to get a press and learn to reload it too.

I've only got 2 molds of my own right now, and I'm using a borrowed Lee furnace. I'd like to get one of my own soon, and I'm already thinking about a 6-banger of the same mold if the guns like the boolits the way I'm hoping.

mold maker
08-12-2010, 01:59 PM
No insanity there. Most of us have come upon a bargain mold , or dies, in a cal we don't currently use. Isn't that why we shop at the gun shows/shops, at tables that have stuff we didn't know we needed???? I had 3 molds for the 45-70 long before I found a trapdoor to shoot them. I had a 41 cal mold for 3 years before I found a Ruger to load for. Come to think of it I cast about 300 .41 cal boolits when I first got the mold.
Or than again, maybe I am a little nuts.

Wayne Smith
08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
No insanity there. Most of us have come upon a bargain mold , or dies, in a cal we don't currently use. Isn't that why we shop at the gun shows/shops, at tables that have stuff we didn't know we needed???? I had 3 molds for the 45-70 long before I found a trapdoor to shoot them. I had a 41 cal mold for 3 years before I found a Ruger to load for. Come to think of it I cast about 300 .41 cal boolits when I first got the mold.
Or than again, maybe I am a little nuts.

A little nuts is a good description. When I used to see kids (my knees don't work nearly as well now) I was frequently asked: "Are you crazy too?" My answer invariably was: "Of course, life is much more fun that way!"

If I can't have fun with it why should I do it?? Maybe that's the philosophy of an old man, but I think it's a good one.

Hang Fire
08-13-2010, 03:35 PM
For me, guns may come and go, but molds and dies stay for keeps. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif