PDA

View Full Version : Battery Clamps for lead?

ron brooks
08-31-2006, 09:25 PM
I picked up a couple of small batches of wheel weights today. As I poured one container into another there lay a lead battery clamp from a car/truck battery,. It had some of the white corrision/oxidation on it. I know that it is a really bad idea to use battery plates for lead, partly because you can't get all the acid out so it does bad things especially to barrels. So my big question is, should Itoss out the 20 or so pounds of wheel weights or is it okay to go ahead and use them? I did toss the battery post clamp, but a little of the white junk got onto some of the weights. So keep or just toss? What say you?

Thanks,

Ron

trooperdan
08-31-2006, 09:32 PM
Ron, I think the main reason not to use battery plates is the newer batteries have calcium in the plates and that does your alloy no good at all for casting. The battery terminals are likely pure lead or nearly so and the corrosion shouldn't be any problem at all. There is no way any acid could be left in lead after it has been smelted.

Ricochet
08-31-2006, 09:49 PM
And that corroded stuff will skim off with the dross. I use 'em and don't worry about it.

BruceB
08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
An even worse factor in battery plates is that they contain CADMIUM, which is a rather dangerous heavy-metal poison for humans and other living things.

Clamps should be just fine, as others have mentioned. They are very soft, and probably need some assistance before being really useable for anything much more demanding than muzzle-loaders, etc.

ron brooks
08-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks, I was more worried about the corrision/oxidation perhaps carry acid than anything. I would rather toss out 20 pounds or so than ruin something.

Thanks again, you've put my fears to rest.

Ron