PDA

View Full Version : new hunting bullets

kbstenberg
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks to Blammer i finally found the correct alloy/velocity combination for my hunting loads this fall.
Iv been working with Mihec's 503 Cramer mold. In my RH i have settled on a 50%WW/50%soft lead (Blammers suggestion) using 18gr./2400, Fed LPP, Felix Lube. The BHN was 10.4 with the small H.P. pin
Today i shot into wet newspaper. An i got beautifully mushroomed bullets with hardly any weight loss. The hole that was left in the paper was aussom. (sp)
I can just see the deer walking up to me this fall with there hooves in the air saying "I give up"
Once again i say thank to one an all, here on the greatest forum there is.
Kevin

fredj338
08-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Bullet weight. velocity? I like 25-1 alloy for my LHP, but the 50/50 works pretty well too out to 1200fps or so.

kbstenberg
08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Fred j in a previous message you sug. that i try a 20 to 1 alloy. I tried that but i couldn't keep the bullet intact at a high enough velocity for hunting. But that alloy has been an alloy that i will use for varmints, an small game.
Today you mentioned a 25 to 1 alloy. Does that one hold together a little better at a higher vel. than the 20 to 1.
I never thought till just now are you using WW or a more pure lead base?
Kevin

Blammer
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
thanks for the compliment, but I was just passing on what I learned from 357max. :)

fredj338
08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Fred j in a previous message you sug. that i try a 20 to 1 alloy. I tried that but i couldn't keep the bullet intact at a high enough velocity for hunting. But that alloy has been an alloy that i will use for varmints, an small game.
Today you mentioned a 25 to 1 alloy. Does that one hold together a little better at a higher vel. than the 20 to 1.
I never thought till just now are you using WW or a more pure lead base?
Kevin

For my deer/hog hunting w/ handguns, 1250fps max, the 25-1 lead/tin works great. Adding ww tends to make the alloy brittle. I Haven't tried vel much over 1250fps, but would think anything in HP form is coming apart. A smaller cup point would be a good compromise between full HP & solid for rifle rounds I would think.