PDA

View Full Version : 40 cal.-175 Gr. SWC cast loads?

broomhandle
08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi all,

I picked up some 175 gr. lead boolits when I was on Memphis Tenn.

Anyone have any good accurate target loads loads for this bullet?

I will be shooting them from a 40 cal.-IMI Baby Eagle with a standard rifled barrel.

Thanks for any help,
broom

versifier
08-31-2006, 08:40 PM
6.0gr Unique. This is a fairly hot load for carry/self defense, though not quite max, so I would test a range of 3.5-6.5(MAX) in 1/2 grain increments to see what your pistol prefers. My Glock didn't like the milder loads, and the brass is not reloadable after, so I don't shoot it much and won't until I get an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber.

Lloyd Smale
09-01-2006, 04:34 AM
what i would do is take some 231 or bullseye and load at the lowest book load for the .40s and if the gun still functions keep dropping off till it doesnt and then bump it up a half a grain. I shoot 3.7 grains of bullseye and a 150 swc for a target load but the advantage i have is im doing it in a revolver and dont have to worry about slide function. Id guess youd need a lighter recoil spring to run that load in your gun. When running light target loads in autos ive found a slight advantage to using the faster burning powders. It seems to get the slide moving better with reduced charges

lefty_red
09-01-2006, 07:29 AM
4.5 grs of UNIVERSAL CLAYS keeps my GLOCK running fine. But my G35 has the lighter recoil springs. I use the LEE 175 SWC TL mold.

BTW, ALL 3rd gen GLOCK have a fully enclosed firing chamber. I bought a STORM LAKE barrel for shooting lead. Great barrel. I would get a Lone Wolf barrel if I wanted a stainless steel barel.

Jerry

broomhandle
09-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi Fellows,

I thank you for your help. :drinks:
I for a 40 cal. Load all book from Dillon. It has some of the loads mentioned in your posts.
Between that book & the Lee reloading book I should have it covered well.

Be safe,
broom

JRR
09-04-2006, 11:22 AM
5.5 gr. of Herco gives me 900 fps in a CZ75B SA. Superb accuracy and a notch down in recoil from factory loads. OAL should be kept as long as will feed and chamber. I use 1.140".

Another good one is 5.9 gr. of AA5. This load also produces about 900 fps and excellent accuracy. Same OAL.

These medium buning powders produce a mellower recoil than the fast burners.

Both powders are bulky enough to preclude a double charge, plus the level is easily seen even in a progressive.

It's a good idea to remove the barrel from the gun and fit check the loads before loading quantities.