PDA

View Full Version : 1903 Springfield with no serial # that I can find?

50 Caliber
08-31-2006, 07:50 PM
:( SORRY GUYS! I DESTROYED THE RIFLE:( For piece of mind, and on advice from a member.:(

Ricochet
08-31-2006, 09:29 PM
I wonder if it's one of the prototypes? They were unnumbered.

50 Caliber
08-31-2006, 10:43 PM
I dont think so. there is no stocks for this rifle any where, just a barreled action.

Billwnr
08-31-2006, 11:24 PM
do you have a scope mount on the rifle. One of the variants had the serial number on the top.

Char-Gar
09-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Having that rifle around would make me very uncomfortable, because

1) If might have had the serial number polished off. Perhaps it was a low numbered receiver and somebody wanted to conceal that fact.

2) Prior to 1968, firearms were not required to have serial numbers...BUT.. if they ever had one, it is a Federal Criminal offense to remove it..IF..the rifle had ever been involved in Interstate Commerce and there is no way, an 03 has not cross a state line during it's lifetime.

3) If it never had a serial number, it can be numbered, but a BATF agent must do it and all kinds of paperwork filled out so the SN is recorded by the Feds. I would want to make darn shure the rifle never had one before I handed it to a BATF agent.

4) If it never had a SN if might be some kind of knock off or went out the back door in some workers lunch box. In either case, the quality could be suspect.

What to do?...If it were mine, I would take off all usable parts and pitch the receiver in the ocean. That way I would not have to worry about it.. I would just as soon keep a box of live rattlers under my bed as have that rifle in my house.

I am certain others will have better information and better ideas, but that is where I am coming from.

Buckshot
09-01-2006, 03:47 AM
............All 1903's and their variants had the maker, the rifle's model and the serial number stamped on the front action ring. Springfield, Smith-Corona, Remington and Rock Island ALL did it.

Do you have a photo of it? I have seen some that were pretty worn, but I've never seen one completely missing.

..............Buckshot

50 Caliber
09-01-2006, 10:12 AM
My camera could not get that close, ive tried. It is a Rock Island I do know that much.

Char-Gar
09-01-2006, 01:11 PM
At the end of WWI, the Rock Island 1903 production was shut down. They just pulled the plug and walked out. When REmington took possession of the machinery and equipment in 1942, it was just as it was when shut down, with work still in the machine tools and bins and stacks of parts and rifles in all states of finish.

I have no doubt that some of this stuff wandered off from Rock Island from 1918 to 1942. That might account for no serial number, or it has been removed which is possible also. I have seen 03s overpolished to reblue that removed the serial number.