PDA

View Full Version : Daughter is inheriting my Bersa. I NEED a new CCW gun.

DanWalker
08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey guys,
Daughter is turning 18 in a couple weeks, and I'm giving her my Bersa 380 carry gun.
This leaves me without a carry piece of my own again.
Let's hear some suggestions.
I've got a few criteria that I need this gun to meet.
#1 it has to be concealable. I don't want a 2 1/2 lb boat anchor tucked into my waistband.
#2 It has to have adjustable sights. I HATE fixed sights.
#3 It has to also serve double duty as my snake charmer and Coup de Grace administrator.
I'm thinking another 38 snubby might fit the bill, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

dk17hmr
08-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Aside from the hatred for fixed sights, do you really need them on a snub nose?

Something else to snag on the draw.

Colt Detective, one of the best snub nose 38's in my opinion. 6 shots, non adjustable sights, fairly lightweight, single or double action.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-09-2010, 08:59 PM
My snubby has adjustable sights, but . . . it ain't 38. nor lightweight!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Ruger%20Alaskan/New002.jpg

:bigsmyl2:

Have you thought of another Bersa? I assume you liked it?

[smilie=s:

DanWalker
08-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Aside from the hatred for fixed sights, do you really need them on a snub nose?

Something else to snag on the draw.

Colt Detective, one of the best snub nose 38's in my opinion. 6 shots, non adjustable sights, fairly lightweight, single or double action.

Yeah Doug. I gotta have adjustable sights. It's just a personal thing.

Finster101
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I gotta' say, I love my little Kel-tec with the Armalaser on. Breaks up the imprint in the pocket very well. It is an adjustable laser. Great carry gun. Point and shoot, what you see is what you get. With the hot weather here in southwest Fl a pocket gun is the way to go. To hot for a cover on anything else.

HeavyMetal
08-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Find yourself a Star PD!

28OZ empty, 45 caliber, adjustable sites, 45 caliber, 7 round capacity, 45 caliber, same basic area taken up as a 38 snub, 45 caliber...

Have I mentioned this is a 45 Auto pistol???

whitetailsniper
08-09-2010, 11:43 PM
just a first thought,look at kahr 9mm,my buddy carrys it,and loves it no printing,very lite,VERY accurate.nice carry gun

DanWalker
08-10-2010, 01:21 AM
looking at another bersa. an Ultra compact Pro 45. Anyone have any experience with them?

Combat Diver
08-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Smith has the J frame several model 60s 3" with adj sights (black ramp front, fiber optic front or night sight front Pro Series) in .357. There is also the 640 Pro with front and rear night sights. Smith is also running a $50 rebate on J frames.

I'm in a similiar situation but different catagory as my oldest son just inherited my 6.5" 29-2, now I need another 6" 57/657 to replace it.

Lloyd Smale
08-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I like a 1911 for a primary carry gun and for summer time or when im not wearing clothes that are good for consealing i put a lcp ruger in my pocket. Ive got two of them and even with crimson trace lazors they dont show in the pocket and have been very reliable

orangezuk
08-12-2010, 04:06 PM
As a permit to carry instructor here in MN, I always tell students and those who ask for carry firearm recommendations; "remember it's a tool for saving your life, it's not a plinnker, a range gun, or a hunting utensil" Don't put limits or requirements on the tool that are not needed or warranted.

I am most adamant about this. Don't carry a hammer to do a wrench’s job. There are many firearms out there that do their job very well, but almost none that can do multiple tasks.

Save your life with the right tool today and take something else to the range tomorrow.

DanWalker
08-12-2010, 07:28 PM
As a permit to carry instructor here in MN, I always tell students and those who ask for carry firearm recommendations; "remember it's a tool for saving your life, it's not a plinnker, a range gun, or a hunting utensil" Don't put limits or requirements on the tool that are not needed or warranted.

I am most adamant about this. Don't carry a hammer to do a wrench’s job. There are many firearms out there that do their job very well, but almost none that can do multiple tasks.

Save your life with the right tool today and take something else to the range tomorrow.
I'm gonna have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there.
I require a certain degree of utility from my handguns. My blackhawk fits all my other handgunning needs other than CCW. I expect my CCW gun to also pull snake killing duty, plinking, and recreational shooting duties.
The CCW piece will be with me 99% of the time. As such I need it to be able to handle certain chores. I live and spend much of my time in places that are probably quite different from a lot of the people here.
It has been my experience that you often have to make due with whatever gun you are carrying. As such, I am looking for a gun that will do several things with a reasonable level of competence.
And as far as not being a range piece. I've only owned one gun in my entire life that I didn't shoot. It seems counter intuitive to me to tell people that they shouldn't shoot their CCW gun a lot. I'd think that you should have the MOST trigger time with this gun, as you are dependent upon your skill with this gun should you ever have to "Save your life" with it.

johnly
08-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Held the Walter P380(?) which is much like the P22, just a little bigger and no slide release.:groner:

My favorite small carry gun is my HK4, and you get the choice of 22LR, 32ACP, or 380ACP just by switching the barrels and magazines.

John

DanWalker
08-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I handled a Kimber Ultra Carry the other day at the gun store. All I can say is WOW!

NickSS
08-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Most small pistols that are good for CCW do not have adjustable sights. Of course you can always have a gunsmith install them on just about anything. Personally I shoot my CCW guns quite a lot and none of them have adjustable sights but out to 25 yards I can hit most things I aim at as I know both the gun and the loads I shoot. On gun that I carry a lot is a 2 inch J frame smith in 38 spl. I have killed snakes with it, plinked with it, and even killed a deer with it I sold it some time ago but now I carry a small 9 mm Taurus PT111. I have done everything with it except kill a deer as the oportunity has not arrisen.

dualsport
08-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Get another Bersa .380. My daughter is claiming mine soon, I'll buy another one for me. Long proven history, great guns, well made, reliable as hell, durable, and priced right. Or a J frame Smith, same proven history, etc., but a lot more $. I can't stand tupperware guns. No soul.

missionary5155
08-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Good morning Dan
I have been carrying 38 caliber 5 shots for years and have never felt undergunned or hampered by fixed sights.
First if I need to shoot pāst 15 feet is this really a self defense case...
Second... if I even have time to do more than see the front sight on the target do I need to be more precise...
If I have to use my 2" barreled 5 shot it will be up close and no real need to wonder where that equalizer is going.