PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex load data

docone31
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I have a new .45 Schofield. Anyone got data for Pyrodex P?
I have been looking but no luck.

Hardcast416taylor
08-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Go on Hodgdons web site. They have load data for the pyrodex powders.Robert

docone31
08-09-2010, 06:11 PM
They do not seem to there.
No one seems to load the Schofield with Pyrodex.

HammerMTB
08-10-2010, 09:53 AM
If you have data for BP, it is the same volume. The weight will be slightly different, but the powder was designed to be volume for volume equivalent.
It also needs to be slightly compressed. This is a MUST.

docone31
08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Just got off the phone with Hodgdon.
Fill the case to where there is 1/8 compression.
There must be an hard compression with Pyrodex.
I suspect that applies to any case also.

Dale53
08-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I have shot several pounds of Pyrodex P in my .45 Colt Ruger Bisley Vaquero with excellent results. I cast my bullets out of 30/1 lead/tin and size to .452". I lube them with Emmert's home mix lube (50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil). It is important to use a bullet that has an adequate lubing groove for either Pyrodex OR black powder. I use the Lyman .452664 250 gr RF bullet. There are now excellent Big Lube bullets that should work well, also:

http://www.biglube.com/

I fill the cases until they are 1/16" above the base of the seated bullet. This allows the bullet to compress the powder by 1/16". 1/16" compression will not cause damage to those relatively soft bullets (heavier compression may damage soft bullets).

I get excellent accuracy from my Vaquero, under 2" at 25 yards. The accuracy holds for about 70 rounds. Then the cylinder starts binding and I need to do a partial cleaning with a good black powder solvent (I use Friendship Speed Juice - a home made mixture) and follow up with Ed's Red.

When I was active in BPCR Silhouette shooting they had side pistol matches. I won more than my share of those matches with those loads.

Use the exact same technique with your .45 Schofield for good results.

The number of shots you can get before the cylinder starts to bind is pretty much your particular revolver's characteristics. However, lubing the cylinder base pin liberally with STP, Rig, or Mobil synthetic red grease maximizes your performance in this regard.

Dale53

docone31
08-11-2010, 08:41 AM
I loaded them up last night.
I use the Lee 200gn RF.
When loaded they make a pretty neat package. The casting pushes the powder down enough to compress it 1/16" like said. A little larger than an ACP.
The Open Top I have is supposed to work a little longer as the cylinder pin is larger. This was an advantage over the Remington pin.
Next week, I go to try it out.
Looking forward to it.