PDA

View Full Version : sensible drive by

frank505
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
I just did a sensible drive by with my 5" 1911, 7 of Unique and a 230 flat point on a half grown coyote. Was out in the desert on the way back and rip and tear ran across the road. Was on my cell yakking to a buddy about the escapees, I says "COYOTE" he says SHOOT!!. Hmmm, left ear kinda still can hear maybe cause phone in ti, right ear really more deaf now. But one good coyote, one handed out the passenger side at 50 yards. My first coyote with a 1911!!

GabbyM
08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
An audiologist told me once that nine shots out a window is enough to cause permanent hearing damage. tenitis for life. I know it takes to long to get your ears on. What we need are silencers on our drive by guns.

No_1
08-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I believe it is true that shots fired "indoors", in confined outdoor spaces or in areas such as the range with a cover over the bench do cause more hearing damage than shots fired in the wide open. This really has me thinking about our men and women who are "over there" fighting the good fight. For those that have been in conflict during the last 5 years please share info on what type of hearing protection is being used if any and how it has affected you.

Robert

Big Dangle
08-16-2010, 03:58 PM
yea ive done 2 tours in iraq been through firefights and been blown up, i fired off a 12 round burst inside a room with an M-249. Only hearing protection we use is on the range, cant risk not hearing whats going on on a mission could be a bad thing. So with that said my hearing is not as bad as some of my buddys, my brother for example hes getting 20% medical for his hearing.

frank505
08-16-2010, 05:14 PM
a recently retired SF friend of mine is deaf without his hearing aids. He said he wore electronic muffs when he could, helped a lot in building searches.

Big Dangle
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
ive used those there very nice but the regular ol infantry dont get the cool guy stuff

82nd airborne
08-16-2010, 09:12 PM
900$ peltors are well worth the money! but they were free, so i guess i would say that. another one of those things that made its way in a rucksack

1Shirt
08-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Yepper, I am another one of those with 20 percent disability from shooting with limited if any hearing protection. I go back far enough that hearing protection in the Marine Corps was (if any), cotton balls. Also remember that me and a few others that I knew back then had ear infections when we failed to get all of the cotton out of our ears. After one infection, I used pencil erasers that someone suggested, a little better but not much, and at least no residue infection. Makes me wonder about those of the boom box generation who are way above the decable level of hearing damage, much less common sense!
1Shirt!:coffee: