PDA

View Full Version : Tang Sight Question

dangerranger
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I got a new tang sight for my Bufalo Classic. and it has the tinyest hole in the eye piece. maybe its so I can drill it to the size I want? the first thing I do is look through it and see a web or some lint in it. I try to push it out with a needle, then tried a welders tip cleaner.still there. so I held it up to the light and when I turn the peep the web stays put. now Im stumped. is it just that the holes too small? or is it a reflection and I need to somehow blacken the inside? anyone else seen anything like it? any ideas? Thanks DR

sundog
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
DR, samest problem here. Progressively got 'worserer'. Eye doc says I have a suspended floater in my aiming eye that looks like a piece of saran wrap. He can see it! Can't do anything about, but it may in time dissolve. It's been going on for a couple years, but I think it is actually clearing up -- finally. It started the same way for me a couple years ago - a piece of lint in the aperture that wasn't really there. Smaller the aperture, the better I could 'see' it. Scope was never a problem, just rear aperture. Really annoying.

Old Goat Keeper
08-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I have bubbles in my "hole"! I wasn't sure what was/is the cause. Thanks for the info Sundog! Time for an eye check anyway so I will ask the eyebal doc about this with my eyes.

Tom

Tom-ADC
08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
One of the reasons I took my tang sight off, I figured I'd have to drill the peephole out to at least a 1/4" old eyes are tough.

madsenshooter
08-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Floaters, you should try looking through a microscope and try determining what's the bacteria and what's the floaters? I've always had small pupils anyway, a big aperture is all that works for me, better yet, a scope.

montana_charlie
08-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Im stumped. is it just that the holes too small? or is it a reflection and I need to somehow blacken the inside? anyone else seen anything like it? any ideas? Thanks DR
It's not unusual to install an eyepiece on a tang sight which has multiple apertures...very small to fairly large.
The shooter chooses the smallest aperture which works for current light cinditions, and might use a different one every day.

He will start with the smallest, and switch to progressively larger apertures until the 'cobwebs' diappear, the the view suddenly 'lights up'.

All you need is a bigger hole. Just don't make it bigger than necessary,

CM

NickSS
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Most apertures in the tang sights I have bought are too small for my eyesight. I generally do one of two things with them for my competition rifles I buy an aperture that has multiple holes (hadley aperature) and I just dial a hole for the lighting conditions and my eyes that day. For most of my other rifles sights if it is too small I just drill it out with successively larger drill bits (I have a complete set of numbered drill bits) until it looks good to me. Generally opening the hole up to around 1/16 inch works for me.

DIRT Farmer
08-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the answer, I was wondering about that too. One of my rifles has a off market hadley cup and thats how I found I could shoot my old 521 Remmimgton, take out the disk and sight with the threaded hole.

dangerranger
08-10-2010, 03:59 AM
thanks guys as sugested on another site that I read Im thinking of trying the Merit apiture. but I may try drilling first. Id not thought of it but I have had floaters in the past but not seen them in quite a few years. I had my youngest son look through it and He says theres nothing in there. I guess getting old is not for the weak! DR

Pepe Ray
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Enlarging the apiture in a removable insert is a good quick fix. But only for those shooting conditions- at that moment.

It amazes me that so few guys who've been in the shooting game for so many years do not realize that the Merit adjustable disk comes in several forms.
There's the one that attaches to your shooting glasses, great for hand guns and shot guns. Then there is the threaded versions. Different thread sizes for various sight manufacturers, Also a "stretched version". It has an elongated threaded tube to bring it closer to the eye, I suppose.
For a shooter trying to avoid the use of 'scopes, the Merit is worth it's weight in Rubies.
Try one ,you won't regret it.
Pepe Ray

Tom-ADC
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I just emailed Merit to see if they have a disc that will fit the Pedersoli tang sights.

dangerranger
08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
I just emailed Merit to see if they have a disc that will fit the Pedersoli tang sights.

If they dont Im going to make a bushing for mine that will lock the windage, and Ill just thread it to fit the merit threads. Im putting a windage adj front sight on mine anyway. DR

358wcf
08-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I recently put a Montana Vintage Arms schuetzen sight on my Win 1885 Hiwall 38-55 with the Hadley eyepiece- 7 small holes in increasing sizes. I found that I couldn't even use any thing but the largest hole, and it wasn't big enough! Spoke with the fine folks at MVA, who offered to redrill all the holes if I would return the sight-- mighty fine service, I might add!
Old eyes need BIG holes- that's all there is too it. For hunting, I take the aperture off, using only the threaded hole- works fine for hunting accuracy-

Oh, to have the body and eyes of a 20 year old, and the knowledge of a 60 year old! In my dreams-

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Bull Schmitt
08-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I have had the "lint" problem for several years. I spoke to my optometrist and he told me that older eyes do not open and let enough light to enter and that causes the problem. YMMV

1Shirt
08-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Sure would be nice to have young eyes again, but that just isn't going to happen. This getting old just ain't for sissies, but sure beats the alternative!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

docone31
08-11-2010, 12:16 PM
When I use my reciever sights, I remove the eyepiece. The thought of haveing an Hadley Eyepiece under those circumstances.....
I no longer expect, or really try to work for extreme accuracy. If I can hit it I get excited. If I hit it reliably, I cannot sleep.
When I had younger eyes, I did not care about a Sharps, or Highwall, Or a #1.
Now I do and it is frustrating indeed.

Marine Sgt 2111
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
National Match sight openings are usually .062"...

texasmac
08-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Just a warning for those of you considering a Merit adjustable aperture. The Merit works great, but they are not legal for NRA sanctioned silhouette matches. If there's a good chance that you will be competing in a NRA sanctioned silhouette match get a Hadley-style selectable eyecup.

I don't know about other NRA sanctioned Creedmoor or long range target matches.

Wayne

garandsrus
08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Here's an article that talks about aperture size, focus distance, and "fuzz":

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5210

John

Tom-ADC
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I just drilled mine out using a #53 drill bit hole is now right at .060 in diameter much better and I think I got the cobwebs also.

dangerranger
08-12-2010, 04:16 PM
When I use my reciever sights, I remove the eyepiece. The thought of haveing an Hadley Eyepiece under those circumstances.....
I no longer expect, or really try to work for extreme accuracy. If I can hit it I get excited. If I hit it reliably, I cannot sleep.
When I had younger eyes, I did not care about a Sharps, or Highwall, Or a #1.
Now I do and it is frustrating indeed.

this is where Im at now! Im selling alot of guns I havent fired in years and am most intrested in the single shots. DR

6.5 mike
08-12-2010, 07:24 PM
This single shot thing must be catching, it seems I have it too. The hadley's are great at the range, with the moving cloud cover last time at the range I switched them about a half a dozen times on the sharps & the hiwall. Looks like tomorrow is going to be the same.:Fire:

dangerranger
08-13-2010, 04:43 AM
early this afternoon I started drilling it out progressively bigger. in the brightest light, I could first start to see through it at .060. web is gone but now Im seeing floating dots. maybe its time for another trip to the eye doc. DR

Tom-ADC
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM

From Merit:
"Mr. Burden,
At this time we do not have an iris aperture for the Pedersoli tang sights. We have seen increased interest, so we will probably start up in the fall. Thanks.

Ed Grant
Merit
518-346-1420"

We can only help it will be soon.