PDA

View Full Version : New caster, Starting tomorrow

MichaelRa
08-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I have all the equipment together and just bought 100 Ibs. of WW. There are a few WW that have adhesive on them. Should this be removed before melting it down into ingots??

littlejack
08-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey Michael:
Segragate you ww's. The ones with the stickum on the back are "USUALLY" pure lead. You
will want to keep them for trading or casting for muzzel loader or mixing for a certain alloy.
The clip ons will be for handgun and slower rifle boolits. Some folks mix 50/50 clip on with
pure for an alloy. Make sure to get all of the zink weights out disgard them. Enjoy.
Jack

Cowboy T
08-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Since I don't shoot muzzle loader, I just melt 'em all together. Typical BHN when I'm done is between 10 and 12, which is perfect for my light revolver loads.

BTW, make sure you have a thermometer. Experience has taught me that the ideal melt-down temperature for WW is 600 deg. F. Zinc melts at 787 deg. Anything that doesn't melt at 600 deg., scoop it out, 'cause it's either zinc or steel weights.

Edubya
08-09-2010, 07:45 PM
I have all the equipment together and just bought 100 Ibs. of WW. There are a few WW that have adhesive on them. Should this be removed before melting it down into ingots??

If you are truly concerned, I hope that you have spent a few months reading the previous posts concerning "new to casting".

EW

Fugowii
08-09-2010, 08:11 PM
The sticky stuff will stink a lot. Make sure that your neighbors aren't around when you start
melting them (or they are really good neighbors) . I melt the stickies separately at my camp
(only one neighbor within a one mile distance in any direction). So far he hasn't complained.

454PB
08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
BTW, make sure you have a thermometer. Experience has taught me that the ideal melt-down temperature for WW is 600 deg. F. Zinc melts at 787 deg. Anything that doesn't melt at 600 deg., scoop it out, 'cause it's either zinc or steel weights.

The exception to that would be a batch of the stick-on weights. They are usually pure lead, which melts at 621 degrees.