PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of new .223 rifles

Jack Stanley
08-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Another thread reminded me of a bolt action a friend has for sale . Perhaps one of you can tell me if the rifle is something worth getting for my nephew .

Rifle is a Stevens bolt acton and has a plastic stock and a scope installed at the factory . It's new in the box and while not the prettiest thing you ever seen , if it is accurate , I'd be a great rifle to move up from his rimfire rifle .

Thanks for any info .

Jack

RKJ
08-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Another thread reminded me of a bolt action a friend has for sale . Perhaps one of you can tell me if the rifle is something worth getting for my nephew .

Rifle is a Stevens bolt acton and has a plastic stock and a scope installed at the factory . It's new in the box and while not the prettiest thing you ever seen , if it is accurate , I'd be a great rifle to move up from his rimfire rifle .

Thanks for any info .

Jack

From what I'm told the Stevens is the same as a Savage but w/o the accu-trigger. If you look at them side by side you can see the resemblance. It ought to be a pretty good gun. They sell for around $400.00 or less new in this area.

Fat-beeman
08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
hello
I have a 223 in a bolt action and love it. I shoot 55 gr cast with it and it is dead on. I am not big on semi auto's.
target or plinking buy it
Don

Jack Stanley
08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys , maybe I'll look at it a little more .

Jack

NickSS
08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I had one of them for awhile and can say nothing bad about them Mine was very accurate but I had too many 223 rifles and decided to reduce inventory so sold a few of them and that one was one of the ones that went.

JeffinNZ
08-10-2010, 06:24 PM
My friend has a Savage .223 varmint and it is VERY accurate out of the box. The Savage .308 rilfes do rather well in the CBA matches. Savage are definitely doing something right.

08-11-2010, 02:36 PM
I havea stevens and it's my favorite rifle just about. really accurate i threw a pentax scope on it and it works really well. I modded the forend to make it less flexy with a golf club and alot of epoxy. I'm sold on Stevens i want one in 7mm-08 next.

NSP64
08-12-2010, 07:57 AM
I had a Stevens in .223 and it is a great shooting rifle. 3/4" at 100yrds. The trigger is adjustable for poundage. My girlfriend loves it (she has laid claim to it, thats why I said 'had' ). I had to buy another. Bought a Savage edge in .308 and only shoot cast out of it. I paid $300.00 for mine(.223) new , camo stock,without the scope . Now she wants me to find a pink stock for it. LOL.

stephen perry
08-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Whether a 788 used of coarse or a 700 any of these are better than any Savage that walked the Earth. I'd even go for a Ruger.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Jack Stanley
08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Used 788 and seven hundred rifles start at around four hundred and fifty bucks around here . The "varmint" chamberings seem to be a little harder to find than the "deer" calibers . The initial objective here is to see if I can find a rifle for not a lot of cash that my nephew can splatter woodchucks with . Perhaps in the future , I'll just give him the rifle instead of having it on loan status . For right now though , the cash pile is a little depleted because for a graduation present I gave him a 1903 with a new barrel I had installed along with a ammo can or reloads with cast bullets and a hardcase .

I'm just not finding any rifles cheaper whether they shoot better or not so I thought I'd put a toe in the water and see if the crew here has had decent results with them . I've only had a bolt action thirty-thirty from Savage and it was OK but it's my only hands on experience . It's good to here the positive and negitive of the rifle .

Jack

stephen perry
08-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Hard to beat a 22 mag for woodchucks. I have a Marlin 783 but there were also some made by Savage and others. The Savage 24C with 22 mag top barrel 20 gauge bottom barrel will go a long way in the field. Have no idea what the Capitolist have done with prices for all those nice guns that used to under $100. I wished I had one.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Jack Stanley
08-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a twenty-two magnum on standby for chucks out the back door . For the longer shots I still go get the centerfire rifle . The advantage for the lad would be I can hand him some ammo to test in the loaner from time to time and I can learn a little more at the bench while he learns how to run tighter groups . Perhaps eventually I can get the lad loading my ammo for me huh? :Fire:

Jack

John F.
08-14-2010, 09:44 PM
A gunsmith friend of mine got into prairie dog hunting, and settled on getting 2
identical SS Savage 110 single-shot, heavy barrel, laminated stock rifles. One came pillar bedded (this was several years ago) and the other one, he did some light bedding work to. He tuned the triggers, and then set about developing 1 load that would shoot very well in both rifles. He settled on AA2200 (the original), and 40 gr. Blitz-Kings, which he liked because they were high velocity, destructive and had much less ricochet potential than harder-jacketed bullets.

He wound up with 1 load that averaged 0.3" in both rifles at 100, using mixed years of surplus Lake City brass. This setup had a couple of advantages. When 1 rifle got hot, he could just take it off the bench and pick up an identical rifle and keep shooting, without having to re-adjust his sandbags, etc., and all ammo came out of the same bucket.

He was very pleased with his Savages, needless to say!

John

Four Fingers of Death
08-19-2010, 06:19 AM
The local gunshop had a swag of them in recently, scope deal included for about the cost of a reasonable re-barrel. They walked out the door and the owner said he had excellent feedback from all of the guys that came back to the shop for odds and ends. One guy bought his mate in who fired one of them and wanted one also. Good stuff (butt ugly, but good).

snowwolfe
08-19-2010, 08:50 PM
They are usually very accurate, low recoil, burn small amounts of powder so reloading is less expensive. Thumbs up.

Lloyd Smale
08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
i had a savage 10fp heavy barreled 223 and it was the most accurate bolt action gun i ever owned. Most savages shoot extreamly well.

Four Fingers of Death
08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
I forgot, my mate bought a HOWA HBar (same as Weatherby Vanguard). We went to the range with him and my eldest son shot one of the smallest groups I have ever seen from a hunting rifle. They are real cheap here at the moment and with Hogue stocks to boot.

Jack Stanley
08-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm kinda thinking the next time I see my pal I oughta see if he still has it for sale . Not that I need another high power twenty-two , but rather my nephew might need to "borrow" one for chuck hunting and of course I get to sight the rifle in for him :Fire:

Jack

MT Gianni
08-20-2010, 05:58 PM
I paid 270 for one a year or so. The trigger is terrible but if you concentrate 3/4" groups are common.

Jack Stanley
08-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I've adjusted Remington triggers in the past , does the stevens have a similar setup or does it need someone careful and patient to adjust it with a stone ?

Jack