PDA

View Full Version : Maximum impact

44man
08-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Whitworth and I shot about 100 rounds from his BFR .500 JRH yesterday. I had hand loads and he had factory loads ranging from 1250 to 1400 fps.
We shot into my rubber mulch filled trap that is 36" long. I kept seeing stuff behind it so we went to see. The boolits were not going through it but the internal pressure forced out the big nails on the back board and was actually bending the 3/4" plywood over and each shot pulled more nails. I backed it up with my steel backstop and mulch is all inside of it and I picked up a pile of boolits.
I just can't imagine the forces inside this thing. It looks like I need to make a new one at least 4' long and wrap steel bands around it. The one I have is already so heavy I can barely lift one end up. I have had to repair it already when the sides started to bulge and pull screws.
Those big guns are really nasty so you guys need to have a trap that will take them. :veryconfu

huntinmo
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
My rubber mulch trap is only 32" and the back is still intact, but the sides are starting to bulge and I am loosing some mulch, time for a rebuild and weight is a factor, not to mention all of that mulch to dig through. I have been shooting my 45LC with a 320 grain Gould bullet at about 900 fps, and my 458 SOCOM with a 400 grain RNGC at about 1600 fps that goes all the way to the steel plate in the back from 50 yards (limit of my backyard range).

44man
08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I tack rubber belting to the front so it is easy to change and remove. Then I just dump it on a plastic sheet to remove boolits.
Most boolits make 30" and it is funny how much force is pushed out to the sides and back. Seems as if the rubber should absorb it.

huntinmo
08-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Plastic sheet sounds like a good idea, I have been dumping mine into a wheel barrow and a plastic tub. I do not have any rubber belting, but I have a couple of pieces of an inner tube behind a thick piece of cardboard and it does seem to help keep the mulch from migrating out of the front. I thought I had it screwed together pretty good, but apparently not good enough. :?