PDA

View Full Version : Lee Expander tool as Compression Die

hk33ka1
08-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I noticed the other day when I flared some .45-70 Goex FFG loads after adding powder that the Lee Universal Case Expander Die also compressed the powder somewhat. This allowed me to get 70gr volume or even 70gr by weight into a WW or RP case with a 405gr HB Lee, where I had not thought that possible before without a drop tube or special die. The loads worked good and were accurate at the 25yds tested.

RMulhern
08-08-2010, 11:58 PM
I noticed the other day when I flared some .45-70 Goex FFG loads after adding powder that the Lee Universal Case Expander Die also compressed the powder somewhat. This allowed me to get 70gr volume or even 70gr by weight into a WW or RP case with a 405gr HB Lee, where I had not thought that possible before without a drop tube or special die. The loads worked good and were accurate at the 25yds tested.

hk33ka1

I can THROW ROCKS and be accurate at 25 yards!!

The expander die stem is not configured to fit exactly right as the bottom needs to be FLAT and fit the interior of the case!![smilie=w::veryconfu

hk33ka1
08-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Even though it compresses the powder and allows the round to be seated do you see a problem over a proper Compression dies plug shape?

I should have mentioned that these shot better than some of my earlier BP loadings even at close ranges. I am new to BPCR loading and was happy with my results. I will of course be trying these out at further distances to see how they (and I) shoot.

Don McDowell
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
The Lee die will work somewhat , but you'll end up jackin your case mouths and neck tension around , compressing powder with that thing.
Lyman M die or Rcbs legacy expander dies will compress the powder and seat the wad without dinking the case mouths up.
If all you do is short range shooting a compression die probably isn't that big of a deal anyway. Just slow pour the powder in , use a pencil to set the wad on the powder and seat the bullet.

semtav
08-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I use the expander die from my 40-65 to compress the powder with excellent results. But isn't the Lee die pointed?
If it works, go for it.
I loaded a 6.5 carcano for a while with some real crude tools cause I didn't have the proper dies. got great accuracy. Then I got all the proper dies and can't duplicate the accuracy.