PDA

View Full Version : Snider short rifle

Beekeeper
08-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I have one that I have restored and have shot a couple of times.
Each time I have shot it it requires me to strike the firing pin twice.
The first time the hammer strikes the firing pin does not depress completely.
I have opened the block and the primer is indented but did not fire.
The second time the firing pin will depress completely and fire the gun.
The firing pin hits the primes at an angle and with the Jamison cases it is right on the corner of the primer where it is at its thickest.
I am wondering if a softer primer( I am using CCI large rifle) might do the trick or if I need to look elsewhere.
Have checked the firing pin and hammer as well as hammer spring and firing pin return spring.
Have checked firing pin protrusion and everything else I can think of.

Anyone got one of the Sniders or have any ideas.

Jim

herbert buckland
08-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I youse LPP in all my BP rifles and find they shoot more acuratly as well as more reliable ignition,try this and I belive your problem will disapear

NickSS
08-09-2010, 04:44 AM
It sounds like your firing pin is not lined up properlyas it should hit closer to the center. Hitting on the edge like it is will probably partially dent the primer and the second hit dents it enough to go off. I am not real familiar with the snider action but is there any way to get it lined up better so that the firing pin hits more centered. If not go to LPP and see if that works better. See if you can get some federal LPP as they are the most sensitive primer I know of.

smokemjoe
08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Maybe bush the block and re -drill.

EdZ KG6UTS
08-09-2010, 10:27 AM
[Anyone got one of the Sniders or have any ideas.

I took the attached picture last Summer in Afghanistan. The folks in the Khyber region make repros of Brit Empire arms.......in VARIOUS qualities. Most bazaars have a couple of booths selling arms, original and repro. Want a fake Enfield? Just step right up!