PDA

View Full Version : Truncated Cone PB 38/357

JSH
08-31-2006, 07:57 AM
Any interest in a 6 banger?
The LEE 120 is to light and the Saeco 180 is a bit heavy I think. A 158 at the minimum weight. Around 165-170 on the high side. Or that is my thoughts, glad to see or hear of others.
What I am after is, somthing heavy enough, smooth and pointed enough to feed in speed loaders for a revolver.
There are certain folks around here locally that have gotten my interest up in action pistol type shooting. Speed and accuracy being the number one objective.
There are several designs that would probably work fair to good, but it seems they all have the small amount of shoulder or start of a driving band that is "proud" of the nose.
Also my thoughts on a long enough bullet to use 38 cases and still get the bullet into the sweet spot of the cylinder, but still work well with a 357 case. The LEE 120 has no crimp groove. I have not seen any sign of the bullet moving either. The heavier bullet may need a crimp groove? If so I myself would want nly one, as I don't want anything that would cause hang up issues.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Buckshot
09-01-2006, 03:18 AM
................It's not a very good pic, but Lee has this in 2 and 6 cavities. It's a nice boolit! It's design weight is 158grs. You can have it now instead of doing the GB process!

http://www.fototime.com/2D536DBA57B9FA1/standard.jpg

...............Buckshot

keeper89
09-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Buckshot has the boolit you need--or Lee does, actually. I have a copy of that mold in 2 cav and I intend to get a six banger soon. The design runs well in speedloaders (but not quite as well as traditional rn designs) and that flat tip renders significantly more "slap"....try a 2 cav for fifteen bucks from Midway or one of the other vendors, you'll be happy--I know I am!:Fire:

oso
09-01-2006, 01:25 PM
My wife and I agree with the above. We're not the fastest at IDPA but the Lee 358-158-RF is a smooth loading bullet, a little crimp avoids case mouth hang-up, the meplate hasn't been a problem for us and the nose length is right for .357 mag. If you seat it out to 1.55" for 38 Special the lube groove is covered. I have the 6 cav.

JSH
09-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Well thanks all for the input. I may have to try one this winter. I have the LEE 120 and another flellow has the Saeco 180.
I just thought with the pointy design that it may work better. I have the fat finger syndrome and am clumsy to boot, that along with aging eyes isn't helping me any. I wish I had taken more of an interest in iron sighted stuff a bout 10 years ago or more. Seems like most folks, me included, thought if you didn't have a scope you were just playing around, took me 40 some years to realize differently.
Makes me happy when the son and I practice. He will grab the iron sighted gun first before a scope. He does get a little discouraged when the don't all go where he thinks they should, but when he does well the bug holes with the scope still take a back seat.
Jeff

bobthenailer
09-09-2006, 07:52 AM
the saeco # 396 180 gr tc is a good shooter , i know several other people who use this bullet including myself and it will shoot 1 inch or better at 50 yards ! bob

GP100man
09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
hey buckshot thats my favorite boolit in my gp100s works good in max fire speed loaders. i use mag cases &3.5gr clays too much fun . ibought the two holer but i see the need soon for a 6er.JSH have you tried the max fires loaders they are a little diff. but work good once you get used to um .the 38 cal work mo gooder than the 44 shoot safe &load safer

GP100man
09-09-2006, 11:35 PM
sorry about all the late replys folks just got my pc back !

Buckshot
09-10-2006, 08:45 AM
............Well JSH was asking for a TC type and that Lee isn't, but it's a good boolit design and the moulds are cheap enough to just try and see what happens :-).

..............Buckshot

GP100man
09-10-2006, 08:31 PM
JSH its pointed enough to find the holes best 16.00 $ iever spent on 38 mould. i like because there is no square shoulder like on a swc design.