PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Roaster to Make Lube?

riverwalker76
08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Have any of you used a turkey roaster to make lube with? I have an old one that I held on to from several years ago, and the wife said I can have it. The temp range is from 140 degrees to 450 degrees. It has a control knob on it to control the temp, so I know I won't scorch the lube.

Does this sound ok to make lube in? Should I use it as the base for a double boiler instead of making lube in the pan directly?

Mk42gunner
08-09-2010, 02:22 AM
Man a turkey roaster would make most people a lifetime or two quantity of lube. I use an old six inch aluminum skillet that I found hanging in the carport. I have a lid that fits it for those occasional flareups.

Robert

fredj338
08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Go to Walmart, buy a 1qt slow cooker, about $12. Works great, won't scortch the lube.

GetBulletsandBrass
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Never tried that method, let us know how it works.

I currently use the Lee liquid alox for my lead bullets and my other bullets are all moly coated.

cajun shooter
08-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Double broiler is the safest way to make lube. It also keeps you from burning your lube. If you are making a simple lube like Speed Green then you could try other methods as we all know about skinning the cat. When you start to use the more costly ingredients then when you have to toss the entire pot. Very large sticky section on lubes. Just don't use the SWMBO kitchen pots.

94Doug
08-11-2010, 01:06 PM
I also have a single gas burner that uses small tanks of propane, this way I can make the lube outdoors, keeping my marriage intact.

Doug

Springfield
08-11-2010, 02:04 PM
I use an old electric coffee percolator. That way when I get done it is in a container with a pour spout. Get them at Goodwill store.