PDA

View Full Version : norinco sks sporter uses AK 47 magazines

casca
08-08-2010, 02:04 PM
greetings,
I have one of the norinco sporters tucked away in the safe, are those worth anything ?
I shot less than a box of ammo through it, mine does not have the thumbhole stock.

I was thinking about trading it off, I have more use for a small caliber center fire rifle. I have a mini 30 & to ROM AK's.

would like to know more about this rifle ??
thanks
casca

fryboy
08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
cant help u much tho i have one too , actually i have had several , the first few all had been reworked to umm work , the one i kept wasnt, a few keynotes to differentiate
reworked often has a weld where they modified it to accept the ak mag as well as a slot in the bolt carrier for stripper clips , the un-reworked ones do not ,

as for value ....it depends... i have seen them from $150 to $400 ( the latter back when the clinton ban was going on ) part of the value also depends upon the barrel ( pinned or threaded) and the trigger group ( milled or stamped) i do know they fit rather nicely in the ATI folding stock made for the standard sks tho it does leave a longer empty slot where the sks mag used to go ,made a plate for mine from kydex to cover the hole , so is it worth something ? yes , the year of manufacture ( or rework as the case may be ) should be part of the serial number , hope some of this mite help [shrugz]

frankenfab
08-08-2010, 06:14 PM
We used to call them "SKS paratroopers". They are worth alot of money now! Wish I had kept mine.......I am speaking of th SKS's that came from the factory that way. Much better than the cheesy non-removable 30 rd. mags that were available.

casca
08-08-2010, 08:26 PM
yes, this came in the box new from factory
this is the same model that California banned and bought back for $260. sometime in early 90's

Frankenfab, what do you have in small caliber center fire ?

WILCO
08-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Never sell off any guns you own. I've learned the hard way that it's too painful to hear yourself say "I used to have one of those"..........

mike in co
08-08-2010, 10:44 PM
actually there are at least two models...the one called a paratrooper is a 16" with ak mags, there is also a more seldom seen but still out there 20" bbl sks that takes an ak mag....have been looking for a 20 in for a while.

(please note..ak mags, not removable sks aftermarket mags)

mike in co

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-08-2010, 11:03 PM
a 16" paratrooper taking AK mags is rare,
I'd suspect it would go for about $400 in MN at a gunshow.

I've never ever seen a 20" SKS that takes AK mags.

For just all around shootin' fun, I prefer a standard SKS with standard 10 rd fixed magazine and using 10 round stripper clips. I recently sold a 1953 dated Russian with Laminated stock "unfired-unissused" to my son-in-law...for much cheaper than it was worth...it has now been cleaned of cosmoline and fired...repeatedly :)
Jon

Multigunner
08-09-2010, 02:23 AM
A friend was telling me only last week that he has a Norinco that takes AK magazines.
I doubt he's fired more than 50 rounds through it, if that many.
If these are worth good money he'll be pleased to hear it. I think he is in the mood to sell off some his collection.

zuke
08-09-2010, 09:35 AM
If their factory made their called SKS-D.
I have one and had it out last Saturday.
Not much fun with a 5rd mag.

ilcop22
08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Depending on the configuration, Norinco rifles with detachable AK-47 magazines run from about 350 to 650, depending on condition. Those that have not been sporterized (different stock, etc.) fetch the higher prices. The higher range is reserved for those rifles which are unfired and mint. Rifles in fair or poor condition will bring considerably less.