PDA

View Full Version : The new caster learns some.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I am really new at all of this and this is just a few things I've found out.
Fluxing: I fluxed and fluxed and stirred and stirred. That grey stuff on top would not combine like they said on posts. I must have done it a couple dozen times before I figured out that they meant STIR the stuff! I was slowly mixing it in and being really easy. I don't mean that I splash it all over but I do STIR the mix now and it ends up nice and shiny
Mixture temp: I was busy thinking of the timing of the pour, amount of sprue on top, time to let it harden, mould temp, how you knock those suckers out of the mould, why are they sticking, do I have the handles together, oops- I didn't get enough mix into the cavity, oops- I almost have the mould covered with mix, where is the stick to knock those sticking boolist out, to worry or look at the temp of the mix that was at 725 and now is at 850. [smilie=b:
I am just getting to the point that I can cast good (not perfect) boolits pretty regularly. The steps are becoming easier to do and remember. Ths is actually FUN!
I cast about 700 boolits yesterday and the vast majority of them will work just fine. I appreciate all of the help you guys have given. thanks.
It's pretty wild when you first start up and try to remember what you are supposed to do and getting things up to temp and positioned like you want on the table. :castmine: I'm glad I can say that.

Hickory
08-08-2010, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=Charlie Two Tracks;967238]I am just getting to the point that I can cast good (not perfect) boolits pretty regularly. QUOTE]

If I ever got to the point that I cast all my boolits perfect then you would not see me on this site.
Welcome to the place of "live and learn."

[smilie=2:

RobS
08-08-2010, 01:57 PM
It becomes easier and easier as you go and when you decide it's just too easy for you please feel free to send all your lead, molds, and casting equipment to me as I can't seem to ever get things perfect enough. :D

Glad to see you are getting a nice feel for things.

geargnasher
08-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Good for you, Charlie. In time casting boolits becomes like driving, you just get in and go, not having to think about the process. Eventually, you'll get to the point where the prep and layout is automatic, your hands will know what they need to do the job, your brain just has to decide what mould, what alloy, and when to quit! Oh, and don't forget to make safety glasses part of your "habit". Start that habit early and you won't get caught unprotected later on if you have an accident.

Gear

mooman76
08-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Sounds like you were or are over thinking. Just kick out the bullets. After awhile it kind of come second nature to you. If you are fussing around constanatly while casting it slows you down and you have a harder time putting out good boolits.

qajaq59
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Obviously you have a sense of humor. That's going to be VERY helpful the first couple of times that you cast. But in the end it is fun. And if you get real good at scrounging lead, it's like having a money tree too.

a.squibload
08-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I haven't got back in it yet, should be soon, one thing I remember:

Finger-quenching is NOT a good idea.

Let 'em cool a minute before you play with 'em!

jsizemore
08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I can't tell you how many times I recast that first pot of lead. After a while, it just gave up and started acting right.

08-09-2010, 12:16 AM
For something that, at the onset, anyway, seems to be very straight forward, boolit casting ain't. A recently acquired mould requires a completely different technique than any of its siblings.

We do soldier on, though, don't we?

Mk42gunner
08-09-2010, 01:28 AM
I haven't got back in it yet, should be soon, one thing I remember:

Finger-quenching is NOT a good idea.

Let 'em cool a minute before you play with 'em!

Okay guys,

Time to be honest here. Who has not picked up a shiny boolit and immediately realized that it doesn't take long to inspect them? (Also known as an AW S%* moment).

Casting is a skill, and can be learned.

Robert

gray wolf
08-09-2010, 03:53 AM
I have picked up some bullets and had them fully inspected
( all around and both top and bottom ) in less than 1/4 second.
Then again I can do the same thing with a hot pot handle when the wife is cooking.

Back to the OP's post--
Thank you for sharing with us, it helps us all learn.

Sam

sergeant69
08-09-2010, 11:06 AM
For something that, at the onset, anyway, seems to be very straight forward, boolit casting ain't. A recently acquired mould requires a completely different technique than any of its siblings.

We do soldier on, though, don't we?

THANK YOU! i was thinking that i was doing something wrong when one mold acted diff. than the others. it was like " aw ****, what did i do wrong now"?

Doby45
08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Time to be honest here. Who has not picked up a shiny boolit and immediately realized that it doesn't take long to inspect them? (Also known as an AW S%* moment).

Guilty as charged. :shock:

mroliver77
08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I have had moulds that cast terrible on one day and worked great with no apparent changes on the next day.
After fighting with moulds for a few years I leaned some tricks(most from this site) and if I prep a mold well then have all my ducks in a row casting usually goes well. If not I can troubleshoot it instinctively. Some of these new moulds being turned out need very litle tinkering!
Jay

dragonrider
08-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Done it and had the blisters to porve it.