PDA

View Full Version : Gear for Camp Perry

Frosty Boolit
08-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Does anyone know what you need to shoot in the pistol matches at Camp Perry? I have never seen any mention of what types of pistol you need and I'm guessing thats because everyone just assumes that it is 9mm and .45 in M9's and 1911's only. Is this correct?

redneckdan
08-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I know there are different classes for rimfire and center fire. And within those classes there are different classes, ie Ball Guns are rather close to mil-spec and shoot hardball where as Wad Guns are more modified and shoot LSWC bullets.

Mack Heath
08-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know what you need to shoot in the pistol matches at Camp Perry? I have never seen any mention of what types of pistol you need and I'm guessing thats because everyone just assumes that it is 9mm and .45 in M9's and 1911's only. Is this correct?

You should do a search on something like "NRA Conventional Bullseye rules" as well as "Leg Matches" or "EIC Matches". The rules will tel you what you need to know about the allwable firearms and ammo.

There are a variety of matches you can shoot. For instance, if you like revolvers, there are the Harry Reeves match and the Distinguished Revolver(DR) match. The Harry Reeves has more liberal rules and is more of a fun match for revolver fans. The DR matches are serious. The rules constrain you a lot for DR.

Then you have the conventional bullseye matches. There are three categories: .22 Rimfire, Centerfire, and .45. The .22 rimfire allows any type of firearm (revolver and semi-auto) and sight (open sights, scopes, or dot sights). For CF, you must shoot either revovler or semi-auto chambered in .32 or larger caliber. Same actions and sights as RF. In .45, your firearm must be chambered in a .45 caliber cartridge: .45 ACP, .45 GAP, .45 Colt, ect. Semi-auto or revolver and any sight. At Perry, each of the above is fired in 90 round matches. If you want to shoot all three, then you will fire 270 rounds for a max point count of 2700. Many shooter use only two firearms and use their .45 for the CF matches, too.

Now if you want to shoot the Excellence in Competition (EIC), aka Leg Matches, then those are the hardball matches shot with either the M9 or 1911 type pistols. Sights must be of the open type, the configuration of the pistols must of the "military type" with certain mods allowed, and triggers must weight 4.5 pounds.

You might want to check with the NRA or the Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association to see what clubs are active in your area, and hook up with them. We have a lot of very good shooters in Ohio and they will be more than happy to help ease you into the game.

Dave C.
08-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Frosty, Go to www.bullseyepistol.com.

frank505
08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Bring two GI ponchos, one for you and the other for your gear when it rains and it will.

miestro_jerry
08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I have shot hi power rifle, wheel guns and 1911s at Perry, bring a decent spiting scope with you, a good supply of ammo that you allowed to shoot in the matches. Bring a lot money, you will see a lot vendors there.

2 Ponchos??? Bring the 2 ponchos, a couple heavy duty tarps, and at least 2 shooters matts. Bug repellent, sun block, and what ever else you may think you will need, then think about all of it again.

Jerry

pmeisel
08-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Mendoza's in Port Clinton looks like a dump but has great Mexican food. Bell Mell tavern in PC has great pizza.

Hope they are both still there. I have been gone a few years.