PDA

View Full Version : Rescued an abused 336A today

Beaverhunter2
08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Stopped by the local Gander Mountain to pick up some fishing sinkers and (of course) found myself wandering through the fiearms department. Lo and behold, there were a couple new (used) leverguns in the rack. A 336A in .30-30 and another 336 in .35 Rem. The .30-30 had what appeared to be some lead or copper fouling in the bore (microgroove) and stocks that looked like it had been drug behind the truck rather than carried behind the seat. The blueing was good except for a wear spot about 3/4" back from the muzzle on the bottom of the magazine tube. For under $200, it was tempting to take her home and show her the love every Marlin lever gun deserves.

The 35 was in a little bit better shape but was also pretty dinged up. It also appeared to have the same fouling problem. It was also $100 more.

Both carried tunnel mounts and Bushnell 3-9x scopes.

After hemming and hawing and having the gunsmith snake both bores, I was fairly certain that neither had bore pitting, but only a through cleaning would tell me for sure.

In the end, the decision was made based on the fact that I already cast and load .30-30 and have nothing for reloading or casting in the .35 persuasion. For $200, it was a risk worth taking. The .30-30 came home with me, and like any other stray, was treated to good cleaning. The bore is pristine now. No pitting and not a lot of wear signs.

Based on the serial number, it was made in 1974 and obviously saw a lot of use (and a little abuse). I sure wish it could tell me it's story! I'm now trying to decide if the stocks can be refinished or should be replaced with some nicely grained walnut that has been waiting for a worthy purpose.

My wife would tell you I need another gun like I need a hole in the head, but I just couldn't look at that poor, sad-looking baby and then walk away.

I think I'll start out with the RCBS 180gr FN....

John

smoked turkey
08-08-2010, 03:58 AM
John, congradulations. You made a good buy. I recently picked up an old 336 in 35 Rem. The blue had some minor rust spots which I gently treated with oil and 4/0 steel wool. Most came out leaving minor tell tale spots. The stock has apparantly been redone with a glossy finish. I can't decide whether to strip it and re-oil it or just leave it alone and shoot it. Someone did a good job on the refinish and it should probably be left alone and I should probably do some of the other stuff around here that really needs to be done. Time will tell.

NickSS
08-08-2010, 04:49 AM
A bunch of years ago I lucked out and got a 50s vintage 336 marlin that has a 3/4 magazine tube and was warn from lots of carrying but not abused. It still shoots great and the only thing I do not like about it is its big fat fore end. I have been looking for a deal on another marlin and sounds like you found it. I hope it shoots good for you I know mine does.

rollmyown
08-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Jim,

Thanks for your selfless efforts in takin' care of the baby Marlins out there! I'm feelin a little choked up!!

rollmyown
08-08-2010, 09:05 AM
sorry John, I'm a bugger with names!

imashooter2
08-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Hard to fault a man for bringing home a new rifle, but there's just one thing I don't understand...

Not having the molds and dies for the .35 makes it the logical choice. How are you going to increase your holdings if you stick to guns you already have gear for? [smilie=1:

Beaverhunter2
08-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Hard to fault a man for bringing home a new rifle, but there's just one thing I don't understand...

Not having the molds and dies for the .35 makes it the logical choice. How are you going to increase your holdings if you stick to guns you already have gear for? [smilie=1:

LOL I'm rat-holing cash as we speak! If it sits there for a few more weeks, maybe I can squeeze them down a bit. If its gone when I go back, then I know another shooter has rescued a stray lever gun.

My daughter already is eyeing the .30-30. She says she just wants it for the range. She says she prefers her Weatherby 30-06 for hunting. She just hasn't yet learned the value of a light, fast-handling lever for still-hunting for deer. I've been using my 1895M for that purpose. Now I'll have decisions to make.... What will I do if I get that .35?!?

It ain't easy being me! ;-)

John

Artful
08-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Well John one word for ya. Rotation - it's what I do rather than leave an old favorite in the back of the safe.

pietro
08-13-2010, 07:14 PM
For under $500, I think BOTH would have come home with me................... :holysheep

pls1911
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Congratulations...
I just scored a 1951 (H s/n) model for $250, no recovery actions needed. Clean bore and origenal stocks and finish with little more wear than carry rubs.
Though I have too too too many of these things (1940's and 1950's), I couldn't resist one more sweety.
Dang, the mad-money sock is empty again...
I need a new safe.
Keep saving them, as they're much better than the Winny cousins.