PDA

View Full Version : Expander Die Gauge

NVcurmudgeon
08-30-2006, 11:34 PM
I use the RCBS cast boolit expander die to open up the mouths of cases to avoid shaving boolits. This die works very well, and I have several expander plugs in .284", .310" .311" , .325", and .360" diameters. Whenever I go to use the die, it almost always has the wrong plug in it and/or the die is adjusted for a case of the same boolit diameter but different length. I measured the distance from the lock nut on the rod that holds the expander plug to the end of the rod. I then cut steps in a piece of cardboard and marked next to each step, for example, 7.65 X 53 (1 1/4",) .30/06 (15/16",) etc. Each small piece of cardboard has room for four cartridge measurement steps. The cardboard gauges live in the box containing the expander die and plugs. In use the die is adjusted so that the plug is ALMOST down to the step, then a minor amount of fine tuning gets it perfect, and saves a lot of time.

fourarmed
08-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Good idea. It would also work on bullet seating dies that are used for several different bullets and seating depths. Where the differences were small, you could measure the rod length using the depth rod on a dial caliper.