PDA

View Full Version : Mold handles

DCP
08-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you have Mold Handles for each of your molds or do you change the over each time?

Can you take the handle off a hot Mold?

Do you store your molds on your handles or what ?

Thanks

winelover
08-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Do you have Mold Handles for each of your molds or do you change the over each time?

Can you take the handle off a hot Mold?

Do you store your molds on your handles or what ?

Thanks

1. No, have a variety of handles, some overlap.

2. Yes, but be careful not to get burnt. ( Don't know why you would want to?:veryconfu)

3. Moulds stored separate from handles.

Winelover:cbpour:

mooman76
08-07-2010, 06:28 PM
No I have too many moulds and it would take up too much space(already taking up too much space) for handles for each.
Yes you can change on hot moulds. It isn't as easy sometimes.
I leave the handles on unless planning on using another mould.

DCP
08-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Well if you have no over lap and 2 molds that use the same handle. And you want to make boolits from the same lead

2. Yes, but be careful not to get burnt. ( Don't know why you would want to?:veryconfu)

Winelover:cbpour:

101VooDoo
08-07-2010, 07:21 PM
I thought I'd only need one of each handle type, but after just a couple of casting sessions, I ordered more handles. Taking the handles off hot moulds works, but its a pita and then you've got to heat the next mould.

I think two moulds for each type (brand) of mould makes sense, so I can finish with one, and then just grab the next one off the hot plate and go to it.

Plus, it opens the door to running two moulds at the same time. Think I'm going to try that next time.

Jim

casterofboolits
08-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I always cast with three molds in rotation. Lyman, Seaco or H&G so I have enough handles to do that plus spares. Just in case something breaks.

I have four Saeco, six Lyman four cavity handles, four H&G eight cavity, four H&G six cavity, and two H&G four cavity handles. I normally cast two to six thousand of one or two boolit styles at a time. So I don't switch handles in a casting session.:bigsmyl2:

Of course my moulds and handles have been collected over fourty years of casting.

Mk42gunner
08-08-2010, 06:03 AM
I am mostly in agreement with winelover:

1. No, have a variety of handles, some overlap.

2. Yes, but be careful not to get burnt.

3. Is where I differ. If I plan to use the mold again soon; I will leave the handles on it. If I only have one mold that the handles mate to, I leave them on (like I only have one Hensley & Gibbs mold, the handles stay on it.

Robert

JIMinPHX
08-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I used to have more handles. I now have only one of each variety, except for the 2-cav Lee molds that have their handles permanently attached. I only use one mold at a time. Some people use 2 at a time.

Artful
08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
have 3-4 of each handle type (RCBC, Lyman, Lee gang).

I have never had the need to change a mould handle on a hot mold, I really have to be
in tough situation to want too.

Whatever was last cast keeps the handles until the next casting session. then move the handles over and preheat molds and lead.

Cherokee
08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I have handles for most of my moulds, all the ones I used frequently. I just find it easier. Storage is not a problem for me and I store then with their handles on.