PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold problem

chris in va
08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I've made about 2k boolits with my 358-125-RF mold, and today I noticed the sprue plate can be 'wiggled' up and down away from the mold. It makes the outermost boolit 'taller' than the other, which cuts flush.

Not sure what to do at this point. I tried adding the washer from my other mold but the screw turns with the plate, and if I tighten it down like it should be I can't move the plate.

The corner of the mold where the screw is looks to be rounded down some. I'm guessing when the plate gets whacked open the corner gets pushed down a bit.

I'll contact Lee on Monday, but wondering if there's some simple fix to this.

mooman76
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I have a couple moulds where the sprue plate is loose and If I tighten it good it is too tight. I tighten when hot and using it but not too tight. I have a screwdriver handy to keep tightening it every once in awhile. Lube helps some also. Lucky for me I don't use that mould much. I think I also added a new washer which helped but not completely.

cheese1566
08-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Not sure what to do at this point. I tried adding the washer from my other mold but the screw turns with the plate, and if I tighten it down like it should be I can't move the plate.

Add a small set screw into the side to hold the sprueplate screw from turning. Like a Lyman iron mold. Seems once the thread cutting screws Lee uses start moving, they don't hold.

Check out the Leementing instructions.
http://www.castpics.net/LeementingKitDocumentation.htm
;)

08-07-2010, 09:10 PM
What Cheese said.

Slight admonishment: Stop whacking the sprue plate...use a gloved hand, instead. Even a Lyman 4-cavity sprue plate opens easily by hand.

docone31
08-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, do not whack it.
I use a dowel 1" in dia, about 12" long. I have tape on one end.
I push the plate open, then if I need to, I tap the mold.
Don't whack it!

Ben
08-07-2010, 10:11 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=10158

mooman76
08-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Yes, if you have a dent on the corner you are waking it too hard and at an angle. I hit mine straight and with a plastic hammer. If you hit it with enough force to dent the corner, you were hitting it too hard and or with something you shouldn't have and it loosened the screw or damaged the threads that hold the sprue plate.