PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Makarov empty brass, who sells it right now?

Linstrum
08-07-2010, 02:27 PM
My Polish P-64 will arrive in three days and I have everything for it except some empty brass to load up for it.

I checked all my usual places for 9mm Makarov but they are out, it is back ordered, or they don't stock it.

I'm not against getting Boxer-primed Sellier & Bellot or other brand cartridges to shoot and then reload the empties later, but I don't want to pay hazmat for just 100 rounds of loaded ammo when I have plenty of powder, primers, boolits, my loading bench, and me just sitting here waiting to go to work.

I figured out how to convert 9mm Parabellum to 9mm Makarov, and although time consuming, it isn't difficult at all since the outside dimensions of the two are identical except for case length and projectile, the Makarov case being 0.044" shorter with a 0.365” diameter projectile instead of the Parabellum's 0.355”. In order to get started and have ammo ready so I can check out my pistol for function, it isn't any trouble to convert just a few Parabellum cases by pressing them part way onto a 0.365" diameter mandrel and then turn in my lathe to match the Makarov's case diameter and taper. I wouldn't want to do a lot that way, though.

rl817

TCLouis
08-07-2010, 03:33 PM
No haz mat for ammunition.
Cheaper than dirt Had the best prices last time I did a search, Russki non reloadable was 10.79 a box delivered. J@G Sales may be your best bet since you are in NM.

NO brass available anywhere I know of.

I made about 500 rounds of MAK brass from 9X19 and the Lee length trimmer, but have not fired it. I have yet to cast the boolits as I can not find a 0.365-0.367 H&I die.

BCB
08-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Linstrum,

Heck, make yoursefl 50 or so to at least get started...

If you have a case trimmer that you can attach an electric screwdrive, they trim fairly quickly...

Only problem is you seem to loose half of them when you shoot them! They fly every direction if your Mak ejects the cases the same as mine...

Good-luck...BCB

Grapeshot
08-08-2010, 12:08 PM
When Makarov's were new and everybody had one of the Chinese, E. German, Russian, or Chech version, I made close to a thousand of them by shortening 9 x 19 to length and loading with a .365 HARD cast bullet.

We were selling them to our customers as reloaded ammo faster than I could make them until reloadable empty brass and ammo became available.

Czech_too
08-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Midway is showing 9x18 brass in stock.

As to finding the brass, I made up a catcher of sorts using some PVC pipe and window screening. I must have deleted it but a picture of it can be found in this thread.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,196899.msg1099032910.html#msg1099032910

Linstrum
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi, guys, thanks for all your answers and ideas!

Czech_too, yeah, I thought Midway had Starline in stock, too, but when the quantity is clicked on it says "out of stock, backorder okay". They need to make it more evident when they are out.

My last time at the range I picked up two or three hundred brass 9x19 empties from a group of guys who apparently don't know the benefits of reloading, so I have a good supply of reloadable brass for my Cz85B and Walther P1 as well as parent brass for my P-64.

Yesterday I machined a collet and center to fit 9x19 cartridges for my RCBS case trimming lathe and I shortened up 75 Parabellum cases to 9x18 specs, so I am all set as far as having empty brass now. My 9mm Makarov carbide die set will arrive tomorrow and I can get started on loading them up. I am not going to load up the whole lot, though, I have to slug the bore when the pistol arrives and I may need to lap the mould out to fit since some P-64 barrels slug at 0.368" instead of the listed 0.365".

rl819

BCB
08-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Linstrum,

For what it’s worth, I shoot the Lee 365-95-1R from my Mak and they shoot O.K…

I have AA#7, Unique, WW-540 as the most accurate with velocities ranging from 823 fps to 960 fps…

The nice thing about that boolit is that I push it through a 0.358” die and shoot it from the 38 Special or 357 Magnum. Accuracy with both is acceptable at 10+ yards, and one can get that little slug going a million mile per hour (!) from the 357 Magnum—although it ain’t worth much at greater than 20 feet!!!...

I still say make the brass from the 9x19 and don’t worry too much about recovery. I suspect factory brass is pricey and much will be lost unless you have some sort of catcher as indicated in a couple of previous posts…

Good-luck…BCB

UnderDawgAl
08-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Linstrum,

I sold my CZ 82, and I believe that I still have some unfired and once fired Starline brass in 9x18 Mak. Send me a PM with your contact info, and I'll put these in the mail for you. I probably have about 3 dozen pieces.

I'll dig them up this weekend, count them, PM you with the quantities, and send them on to you.

Regards,
UnderDawgAl

fatelk
08-17-2010, 10:49 PM
I just trimmed a bunch of 9mm cases yesterday. It goes pretty quick, and if I was only making 50 or so I wouldn't complain, but trimming a bunch is no fun. My biggest trouble is that the Lee lock ring that holds the case on the stud kept slipping. The only way to make it work was to tighten each one with pliers. There has to be a better way, especially since I rarely recover more than about 75% of my brass at best.