PDA

View Full Version : Chambering reamer

dragonrider
08-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I have a project in mind and I will be making a reamer, however I do not want to trust my hardening and tempering technique, a torch and bucket of oil, to this tool. Does anyone here have the means to properly harden and temper a reamer. If so please PM me and we shall negotiate a cost.

thanks

theperfessor
08-07-2010, 04:11 PM
What material do you plan to use?

I usually do a heat treating lab in a couple of my classes but it would be eight to twelve weeks from now. If you haven't gotten any help by then I'd be glad to run it with our stuff. The only cost would be the return postage.

dragonrider
08-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks Perfessor, that time frame will work very well. I'll be in touch. And I'll be using 01.

theperfessor
08-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I have heat treated O1 before, I've made cutting tools and wear plates out of it with no problems.

I heat treat and oil quench it just like I do 4140. I'll have to check on the tempering temperature and I'll let you know what hardness you can expect for a specific tempering temperature. I usually use 450F for 4140 but I can change that to suit

I have some stainless steel tool wrap that I can put around it to prevent oxidation. Our furnace is not a controlled atmosphere type so I have to do that to keep the scale away.