PDA

View Full Version : Interarms Vigirnia Dragoon

miestro_jerry
08-07-2010, 01:24 PM
A friend of mine has a Interarms Dragoon in 45 LC. I was wondering if any one knows what the bore is on this pistol? I am guessing it is .451 or .452, if this was my pistol, I would slug the barrel, the owner doesn't want to go to that expense at the moment.

Plus what is a good bullet shape and mold to get for this pistol?

Thanks,

Jerry

Rico1950
08-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Cylinder throat diameter of each chamber is what you want to measure.
Lyman 454190 is a good one to start. 6.0 Red Dot is quite accurate in most .45 Colts.
Just size to cylinder throat dia. or .001" larger with ACWW or an even softer alloy.

idahoron
08-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I have a Dragoon in a 44 mag. It is stainless steel with a 8 3/8" barrel. I love that pistol. Ron

tek4260
08-16-2010, 09:49 PM
It is probably a 451. I would use a RCBS 270-SAA, preferably the Cramer style from Mihec, sized to .452 over some HS-6. If you have some boolits sized to .452 see if they will pass through the throats with finger pressure. If they will, call it good. If not, send the cylinder to Cylindersmith.com to be reamed.

Also, check on www.singleactions.proboards.com I think they have some articles on the Interarms.

MtGun44
08-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I could guess your shoe size and you could then buy some shoes and see how I did.

Or you could measure your foot first.

"Expense" of slugging a barrel???? Like the cost of one lead slug? Actually, you need
to measure the throats with pin gages as much or more than slugging the barrel.

Bill

44man
08-17-2010, 08:30 AM
It costs NOTHING to slug the gun. Volunteer to do it for him.

Butler Ford
08-17-2010, 08:40 AM
7 .50 round ball and a stick of wood. Sounds to me like your friend is too lazy to research how to do it. I'd suggest you either take on the project yourself or give back a fine old pistol and tell him to buy off the shelf.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
It sounds like to me you don’t have a mould and neither does your friend, thus no slug to slug the chambers. I would recommend acquiring a few pure lead slugs, perhaps through the Swapping and Selling section, or just PM me. Slug first then invest in sizer equipment and moulds. The Lyman 454190 is a great boolit for both black powder and smokeless, but pretty much any 250gr~ish boolit has worked well for me. Unique is a great standby when it comes to smokeless. As to the revolver it self, I have heard many good things about them yet never fired one myself.

44man
08-18-2010, 07:48 AM
I had one long ago in .375 SM and the gun itself was great but it was so much work to make shoot I sold it.
The problem was all the brass I could find was WW and it was really bad. Rim thickness all over the map, many would not allow the cylinder to turn. I had no lathe so I spent hours filing case heads and measuring. Some would drop right in and turn but 50% would not. Might be why I still don't buy WW brass.
I shot a lot of other calibers and the guns were very well made.

felix
08-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Jim, ask Buckshot to make you a cut-off die (knock out die sizing die type; hammer in, punch out; dual use die ) for the rims, and just file the rims down. You're prolly talking no more than a cut of 3 thou? ... felix

44man
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Jim, ask Buckshot to make you a cut-off die (knock out die sizing die type; hammer in, punch out; dual use die ) for the rims, and just file the rims down. You're prolly talking no more than a cut of 3 thou? ... felix
Be great but the gun is long gone. I wish I still had it. I could never buy anything new unless I sold something else---or two or three.
It is OK though, I never had to call a plumber, builder, electrician or anyone else. Never took a car to a garage and when the old TV's would fail I learned to fix them and radios. Stuff has changed so much now that I can't fix any of the new things but they do last a lot longer and are so cheap you just toss them.
Life is making your own way and I am happy about all I have forgotten but I envy those that can just buy a new gun, seems to be all I care about anymore, what else is there?
I buy $12 booze and my mouth waters over a bottle of Jack and that really hurts! :bigsmyl2: But I want no sympathy because I have done it all and is why I work so hard to make a revolver or any gun shoot. Can't toss it and buy new in the hopes it is better. I am RICH with $9 in my wallet, much better off then those rolling in money that if they got laid off they are lost.
But Felix, I will thank you forever for giving me the best boolit lube there is.
Sorry about the hijack but I really want more of the guys to think and work and not to think throwing money at something will make it right. As so many here have said, you CAN do it, lose the fear.
You will never know fear until a guy brings you a $300 chunk of wood and says to make him a custom rifle with fancy checkering or a pile of 1911 parts with an old Colt and wants a gun that shoots. [smilie=l:
I did make the 1911 shoot sub 1/2" groups at 30 yards and pride counts a lot. And I did make the custom rifle (Many more too.) without a single mistake to hide but you will go broke doing it. Hours and hours fly by, days and days fly by. Pay by the hour goes way, way down until digging ditches pays more.
I do not hate rich people, I feel sorry for them because all it takes is to GET OFF YOUR DUFF! I never in my life worked for a poor man or a poor company so those that have money are NEEDED but it is no excuse to depend one someone else even if you are rich.
Sorry for the rant but there is more talent and more smarts here on this site that if you can't find it you are either not looking or you have a fear of doing anything without paying someone else.
Too expensive to slug a barrel and throats kind of rubs me wrong.

felix
08-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Way to go, Jim. Just hang in there. ... felix

cptinjeff
08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Too expensive to slug a barrel and throats kind of rubs me wrong.

so..........if I sent you my gun....would you slug it for me for free?

JUST KIDDING!!!!![smilie=w:

Sorry, It was too easy to pass up!:bigsmyl2:

docone31
08-18-2010, 03:24 PM
C'apn Jeff, all you gotta do is take a fishing sinker, and run it down the barrel.
It is much simpler than it sounds.

cptinjeff
08-18-2010, 03:52 PM
C'apn Jeff, all you gotta do is take a fishing sinker, and run it down the barrel.
It is much simpler than it sounds.

yep. I know....I've measured all my revovlers and a couple of guns from a buddy that I shoot with and load for.

I was trying to ruffle a feather and get a grin from 44man. (very good naturedly of course):mrgreen:

docone31
08-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I feel better.

Freightman
08-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Go to Wal Mart and get the one pound sinker box for $1.50 and you will have a large selection of sizes.
I had a 44 mag VD but as 44 man said if I want something else I aether have to trade for it or sell something to get what I want or need. Hey you are not by yourself, added 1/2 again as much house as the original back in 82 did all the pluming, electrical and building and passed all the city inspections. Did it on my spare time after working six days a week hassling freight 54 hours a week.

44man
08-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Good for all of you! Seems most shooters are self sufficient.
Yes, I would slug a gun free but is it worth the shipping? I know it was a joke but I don't care much about money, friends count. :drinks: