PDA

View Full Version : Problem shooting tang sight

Naphtali
08-07-2010, 11:48 AM
My Marlin 1895s wear Brockman receiver-mounted aperture sights. One of them also wears a Marble's tang sight, my other rifle's tang sight is still boxed. The purposes for this include the following:

1. Determine which sight is quicker to acquire target.

2. Determine which sight allows me to shoot more accurately with the specific rifle on which it is mounted.

3. Determine whether either sight will allow mounting of low powered fixed power scope without dismounting the iron sight.
Marble's tang sight is clearly quicker to acquire while allowing more accurate shooting. This should have pretty well settled the issue. I'm left-handed; my shooting partner is right-handed. He shoots the Marble's without issue. Every shot I took with Marble's sight enabled - or present on the 1895's tang, caused the stem's windage-pivot knob to bash me in the nose, causing an abrasion. Since my handloads were brisk rather than heavy, this is disappointing.

I have no trouble shooting a friend's Winchester/Miroku 1886 rifle with Marble's tang sight mounted, I anticipated no issues regarding sight placement. Apparently, Marlin's placing of the serial number on the tang forces mounting the tang sight farther to the rear than had occured decades earlier.

Anyone having a workaround for this problem, please chime in. Otherwise, I'll be selling one New-in-Box Marble's tang sight and one used one.

August
08-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Not sure I understand the issue. But, I think you're asking about placing the Marbles site on the tang.

Put it wherever you want. Thats what I did. But, I think the serial number on my marlins were all on the side of the receiver. I take it that's changed?

Naphtali
08-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Not sure I understand the issue. But, I think you're asking about placing the Marbles site on the tang.

Put it wherever you want. Thats what I did. But, I think the serial number on my marlins were all on the side of the receiver. I take it that's changed?It is now on the top of the tang.

montana_charlie
08-07-2010, 02:49 PM
The serial number of a Pedersoli Sharps is on the tang. It gets covered when a tang sight is mounted. So what?
It's not like you took a grinder to the serial number...

Can you drill a sight mounting hole in a place that satisfies you...without penetrating the serial number?
Is it possible that you have the sight mounted backward?

CM

thx997303
08-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Must be a pretty recent change.

I bought my Marlin February of this year and it's serial is on the left side of the receiver.

Naphtali
08-07-2010, 03:45 PM
thx997303: Marble's has a specific procedure to mount their sight on current Marlin 336-class rifles. Apparently, this has been mandated by BATFE regulations. I know nothing about serial numbers being on left side of currently made receivers. My shooting partner bought his about two years ago. I bought mine about 18 months ago and have been nickel-******* with mine since. If it makes a difference, all are 1895s in 45-70. His is non-stainless; mine are stainless.

montana_charlie: Regarding covering the serial number or otherwise defacing it during a mounting procedure, Grizzly Custom Guns informed me that doing so would be illegal per BATFE regulations. Hence Marble's [new???] mounting procedure.
Since I have no issues shooting Marble's tang sight on Jimmy Harrison's 475 Turnbull with factory loads, placement of the sight base must be where the problem originates. Knowing this, or thinking I know this, doesn't seem to be helpful. One more thing I think I notice is that I can wrap my trigger hand thumb around the pistol grip in front of the sight base. I don't remember being able to do that on the 1886.

thx997303
08-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Naphtali, covering the serial number is NOT illegal.

Destroying it IS illegal.

One second you are talking about Marlin 336, then you're talking about 1895s.

I'm just gonna bow out of this thread.

markinalpine
08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Marble's tang sight is clearly quicker to acquire while allowing more accurate shooting. This should have pretty well settled the issue. I'm left-handed; my shooting partner is right-handed. He shoots the Marble's without issue. Every shot I took with Marble's sight enabled - or present on the 1895's tang, caused the stem's windage-pivot knob to bash me in the nose, causing an abrasion. Since my handloads were brisk rather than heavy, this is disappointing.

Yikes, you'll put you eye out! :bigsmyl2:
Seriously, that tang aperture is getting pretty close to you eye if the windage knob hits your nose. :roll:
Mark :coffeecom