PDA

View Full Version : A couple lead buying questions

Markbo
08-07-2010, 09:09 AM
1. What is Isotope lead?
Where do you get it?
What does it cost?

2. What is the cost of junk/.scavenge yard bulk lead around where you live?
Several places I have contacted around me look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I want to BUY lead.

If I count on scrounged (or bought!) wheel weights for lead it will take me a long time to get a ton. I'd sure like to have more than a few 100 lbs once I start dropping bullets.

Czech_too
08-07-2010, 09:36 AM
The going price at a nearby recycling center, for wheel weights, is 20 cents a pound.

I read recently, that here in Ohio, recycling centers are not allowed by law to sell lead to customers. I tried to find some documentation regarding this but wasn't able to. When I asked about it the person at the center said he'd have to ask the boss, who naturally wasn't there.

Muddy Creek Sam
08-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Markbo,

Isotope Lead info is at http://www.fellingfamily.net/isolead/index.html.

Prices Are all over the place.

Sam :D

riverwalker76
08-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Muddy Creek Sam has some good prices on his isotope lead, and you don't have to deal with the trouble of getting it yourself.

Markbo
08-07-2010, 03:18 PM
...The going price at a nearby recycling center, for wheel weights, is 20 cents a pound....

Buying or selling price?

Markbo
08-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Markbo,

Isotope Lead info is at http://www.fellingfamily.net/isolead/index.html.

Prices Are all over the place.

Very interesting... and where could one find/buy this stuff from?

Shotgun Luckey
08-07-2010, 03:23 PM
I have bought lead from the scrap yards (when I can find one that will sell it to you) for the same price as they sell it by the truck load....can't remember what the price I last paid for it was, but it was cheap enough I resold some....oh, and they charge the same price regardless of the type of lead...ww, ingots, lead pipe, battery terminal clamps

Muddy Creek Sam
08-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Very interesting... and where could one find/buy this stuff from?

Markbo,

I sell it here on the site, It comes from the places that supply the Hospital's Nuclear Medicine Departments.

Czech_too
08-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Buying or selling price?

Buying

clodhopper
08-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Here the local recylcer buys for 5 cents, and sell for 50 cents a pound.
I have looked many times in the bin for some lino but no luck yet.
Indoor range sell scrap for 20 cents.
Mining at the out door range allowed, but my methods are not fast.

a.squibload
08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
....oh, and they charge the same price regardless of the type of lead...ww, ingots, lead pipe, battery terminal clamps

Same here.
They buy at 35¢/lb, sell at 80¢/lb, last week.