PDA

View Full Version : 44 & 454 loads with Blue Dot

JFE
08-07-2010, 03:30 AM
I bought some Blue Dot hoping to work up some lighter loads for my 44 & 454. I tried some in the 44 but results were not encouraging. I was hoping some of you might have some pet loads and loading tips for this powder that you could share.

Thanks in advance.

JFE

Jack Stanley
08-07-2010, 09:59 AM
One of the fellas here passed on to me a load of fourteen point five grains Blue Dot and a two hundred fifty grain slug . It works rather well in the model twenty-nine I must admit and it's no slouch in the three thrre six Marlin either !

Bullet is LBT two fifty with gas check , Winchester primer , R-P case , fourteen point five grains Blue Dot . I forget the over all length but I started at fourteen grains and fiddled with length and then upped the charge a little .

Jack

Larry Gibson
08-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I ran a pressure/velocity comparison test of Hercules vs Alliant Bluedot in the .44 magnum with the 44-250-K bullet. I think it is a sticky around here somewhere. I got very good accuracy and velocity within acceptable pressures with Bludot. I suggest working up to 17.5 gr of Bluedot with 240 - 250 gr cast bullets.

Larry Gibson