PDA

View Full Version : my first randal

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Ive got quite a few custom knives and even a couple damacus customs but have never owned a randal. I was at the buddy gunshop and some idiot had come in and sold him a brand new randal 23 for a 100 bucks. I drewled all over it but he wasnt intersted in selling it. I found out why a couple hours ago when his wife brought it over as a gift for me for doing them a few favors. Its a stag handled beauty. I wish my camera handnt taken a **** or id post a picture

JJC
08-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Congrads. I had a 5.5 that was to pretty to do anything with, so it sat in the safe. I sold it for $300. Wish I still had it.

WARD O
08-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Dang good knife you got out of that deal - I've had one for many many years and it served me very well through years of elk and deer hunting. Mine has a black micarta handle with brass tang and butt cap. It's a little heavy but that works well when trying to get through pelvic bones etc. I would normally use the heavy back edge for the tough jobs while saving the sharper front edge for normal use.

I also enjoy using the Model 8 trout and bird for much of my bird and deer hunting as well. It is pretty much a scaled down version of the M23.

Ward

crabo
08-30-2010, 09:57 PM
I've got a Randall Alaskan skinner. I bought it back when it could be bought cheap by todays standards. I think I paid $125 back in late 70's. The other stag handle knife is a Morseth.

home in oz
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
What luck!

They are eye candy for sure.

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2010, 08:29 AM
mine looks identical to your bottom one with the exception that it has a slightly longer blade.
I've got a Randall Alaskan skinner. I bought it back when it could be bought cheap by todays standards. I think I paid $125 back in late 70's. The other stag handle knife is a Morseth.

AggieEE
08-31-2010, 04:55 PM
I have my Dad's Randel that he got in WW II. He thought that he was going to have to go over but he didn't. This was back when they did things right they stamped his name on the knife. I need to find a new sheath for it as 60-70 years of age has hurt the old one pretty bad. Any ideas? Needless to say it won't get sold, at least not by me.
AggieEE

winelover
08-31-2010, 05:41 PM
I have my Dad's Randel that he got in WW II. He thought that he was going to have to go over but he didn't. This was back when they did things right they stamped his name on the knife. I need to find a new sheath for it as 60-70 years of age has hurt the old one pretty bad. Any ideas? Needless to say it won't get sold, at least not by me.
AggieEE

Flea Bay has em every so often. Be prepared to pay around $125.00 though.

Winelover

alamogunr
09-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Flea Bay has em every so often. Be prepared to pay around $125.00 though.

Winelover

I would buy any genuine Randall you can find for $125. I just went to Ebay. There are 24 pages of Randall stuff. Real Randall's are starting at over $250 up to $3000+. I doubt that the $250 start price holds up. Most bids are $400 to $1000. The higher priced ones are from WWII or Vietnam. Most collectors are well heeled.

I paid approx. $30 for mine in 1963. With my name etched on it, I doubt if I could get top $$. I'll just leave it for my sons.

John
W.TN

winelover
09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
I would buy any genuine Randall you can find for $125. I just went to Ebay. There are 24 pages of Randall stuff. Real Randall's are starting at over $250 up to $3000+. I doubt that the $250 start price holds up. Most bids are $400 to $1000. The higher priced ones are from WWII or Vietnam. Most collectors are well heeled.

I paid approx. $30 for mine in 1963. With my name etched on it, I doubt if I could get top $$. I'll just leave it for my sons.

John
W.TN

Read AggieEE's post again. He was thinking about a replacement sheath for a Randal. I'm well aware of what Randal knives cost. I'm a life time member of the NKCA (Nat. Knife Collectors of Am.) and curently own 3 Stag handled Randal's (#1, #14 and a #21)[smilie=1:

Winelover

Pepe Ray
09-01-2010, 07:45 AM
I',m sure that a collector would have ONLY a genuine Randall sheath for his beauties. However there are some of us Randall owners who refuse to own "SAFE QUEENS". I cary mine whenever I'm hunting.
Yes, Randall sheaths are very nice quality but not necessarily the only thing fitting to cary a fine blade in.
There are a few excellent leather workers on our Forum who could do a Randall proud. And NOT for $125.
Pepe Ray

alamogunr
09-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Read AggieEE's post again. He was thinking about a replacement sheath for a Randal. I'm well aware of what Randal knives cost. I'm a life time member of the NKCA (Nat. Knife Collectors of Am.) and curently own 3 Stag handled Randal's (#1, #14 and a #21)[smilie=1:

Winelover

Sorry! I missed that.
John

winelover
09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I',m sure that a collector would have ONLY a genuine Randall sheath for his beauties. However there are some of us Randall owners who refuse to own "SAFE QUEENS". I cary mine whenever I'm hunting.
Yes, Randall sheaths are very nice quality but not necessarily the only thing fitting to cary a fine blade in.
There are a few excellent leather workers on our Forum who could do a Randall proud. And NOT for $125.
Pepe Ray

Nice to have choices though. Just pointing ONE out!

Winelover

Pepe Ray
09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Springfield
AKA
Whyte Leather Works - - - -a sponser!

Tazman1602
09-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Dang Lloyd Randalls are the BEST there are. As a young man I had the priviledge of working on old man Randalls Caddy when he would come to the Petoskey area in the summer, he was quite a character -- now this is circa 1980 or so and he was getting up there in years then.

I was working on his caddy one day when I had to get into the glove box area. In the glove box was a blackjack and a loaded .38 special, and one of his knives. Not wanting the old guy to get into trouble I told him that blackjacks and concealed weapons were illegal in Michigan and his response was not something I could post here, very colorful language at best! It went something along the lines of "they can have sex with themselves"....

He always gave us a tip for working on his cars and offered us discounts on his knives which, as a young guy with small kids I couldn't afford at cost even.................but what a guy he was!

Congrats on the new knife!

Art

Hurricane
09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
AggieEE,

Take a look at the "Randall made Knives" site, Randall also makes replacement sheaths for either $45 or $50 depending on the model. You would have to send your knife to them for fitting.

AggieEE
09-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Hurricane;

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

AggieEE

Ted
10-09-2010, 02:09 AM
I've had a Randal for a few years now and will get my second next year.

This is mine.

http://shadowsfall.org/Tools/slides/tool-n.jpg

Ted

farrell
11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
AggieEE

dont get rid of the old sheath it is very valuable along with the knife.

Char-Gar
11-15-2010, 09:18 PM
I have owned one or more Randall knives since 1963. Life would be hard to face without at least one.

Nazgul
11-15-2010, 10:06 PM
I have a Micarta handled #5 I carried in the Marines 30 years ago. Still sharp.

Don