PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Lee Tumble Lube boolits?

CiDirkona
08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I cast my first batch of 45acp tumble lube boolits last night, and they (that filled out well) came out to .4535 I haven't slugged my 1911 bore yet, but are these OK to shoot as is due to the lubegroove design, or should they be sized anyways?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/cidirkona/SU1BRzAzMDAuanBn.jpg

Thanks! :)

AZ-Stew
08-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Lube 'em up and shoot 'em. Back off a bit from maximum loads. They should be fine.

Regards,

Stew

Moonie
08-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't size any of my 45 boolits. I shoot them all as cast, and I don't use tl style boolits.

mooman76
08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I'd shoot as is but before you go loading a bunch make sure one loaded chambers ok.

2wheelDuke
08-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I just made my first run of the same boolits. I was reading .452 on the couple that I randomly grabbed and tested with my cheap digital caliper.

I decided to size them anyway, after lubing, then tumbled them again.

Some went thru with almost no resistance at all, but some took about 3x that, although it was still less resistance than decapping/full length sizing.

My thread is over here. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=90212

chris in va
08-06-2010, 02:35 AM
I have the RN version of those, work fine in my Sig and Tanfoglio, no sizing needed. As pointed out though, be sure they both chamber in your gun *and* stack in your magazine without issues.

My boolits were set at 1.26oal that worked with my Sig. I picked up the Witness but discovered they were too long for the mag and had to shorten to 1.25.

Cloudpeak
08-07-2010, 06:10 PM
I just made my first run of the same boolits. I was reading .452 on the couple that I randomly grabbed and tested with my cheap digital caliper.

I decided to size them anyway, after lubing, then tumbled them again.

Some went thru with almost no resistance at all, but some took about 3x that, although it was still less resistance than decapping/full length sizing.

My thread is over here. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=90212

Which is why I've size all bullets out of the 5 Lee six cavity molds I own/owned. I gave up wondering why I'd get a "fat bullet" every once-in-awhile and just decide to run them through the Lee push through sizer. A fat bullet could cause chambering problems or, if you're working in the high pressure ranges (which I don't do), could cause an over pressure condition.

Cloudpeak

Recluse
08-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Which is why I've size all bullets out of the 5 Lee six cavity molds I own/owned. I gave up wondering why I'd get a "fat bullet" every once-in-awhile and just decide to run them through the Lee push through sizer. A fat bullet could cause chambering problems or, if you're working in the high pressure ranges (which I don't do), could cause an over pressure condition.

Cloudpeak

+1

I size every single boolit I cast. It's a variable (size) that I can easily control and it takes very little time. The Lee push-through system is fast and easy, plus it is nose-first--which is the only way I'll size a rifle boolit.

My standard practice is to do a light tumble-lube, size, then another light tumble-lube, then load. I can easily do that in an afternoon as the blend I use dries quickly and hard with no tackiness.

:coffee: