PDA

View Full Version : 3 Jaw Chuck

Sprue
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm looking for a 5-6" 3 Jaw chuck.

Check out this Link (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=964805#post964805)

deltaenterprizes
08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Try ebay or Practical Machinist forum. CDCO may have some.

Sprue
08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I tried (bought) one from ebay last year and got burned The scroll is worn out. Who is CDCO ?

I'm tired if indexing the 4 jaw.

Practical Machinist... I look over there

Tks

deltaenterprizes
08-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Chinese importer.

danski26
08-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Sprue....I am looking for a four jaw if your thinking of getting rid of yours.

Sprue
08-06-2010, 12:41 AM
naaa, I'll hold onto it but if I see one somewhere I;ll let ya know.

But surely someone has a 3 jaw Chuck not being used :?:

JIMinPHX
08-06-2010, 02:30 AM
The Bison brand chucks (made in Poland) that MSC carries are a little better in quality than the Chinese ones that I've seen & the prices aren't through the roof. Removable top jaws are really worth having in my opinion. They open up a lot of options for you.

scrapcan
08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
You might check with this guy

http://www.plazamachinery.com/

Or look up texan.45 , tools4cheap, or on ebay. I think one of them might be able to help also.

or go to yahoo and search for th group for your lathe and join it. Put your first post as an introduction and looking for the three jaw. I will bet you will have someone that can help.

There was a post one of the southbend lathe groups a few months back for a supplier that had large crates of chucks, backplates, etc... I have not been able to find it but there are 4 or so groups.

Buckshot
08-07-2010, 05:44 AM
...........Three jaw scroll chucks with that spindle mount are all over the place with quality and price also all over the place, intregal back, plain back, 2 sets of jaws and 2 piece jaws. What are you ideally looking for? There are all manner or 5" and 6" chucks.

Just a 'f'instance, here http://www.hhip.com/products/catalog_view.php?CatPage=126

You have 6" 3 jaw (2 sets of jaws) plainback Steel chuck for $121
Or a 6" 3 jaw (top reversable jaws) plainback Steel chuck for $150

Then on page 127 they have a backplate @ 1-1/2 - 8 tpi for $45

Here's just one on E-Bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/6-PRECISION-3-JAW-CHUCK-TR-JAW-PLAIN-BACK-NEW-/180530626718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 brand new, no name plain back 6", 2 piece jaws for $89, but the dorks want $35 shipping via UPS !!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a brand new Bison 5" 3 jaw 1-1/2 - 8 tpi intregal back chuck (still all wrapped in plastic) I bought a couple years ago for an indexing head. Checking a few places, I knew I didn't pay THAT much for it! Enco wants $426, sheesh!

...............Buckshot

Sprue
08-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, I bought one off that Bay place last year and got burned. It was a 5" Union with two sets of jaws. My buddy to it to work to try and even out the jaws (one jaw would not bight on the front side of the part. That didn't cure the problem.

Soooo, yesterday I took another chance at an identical chuck from ebay. I'm holding my breath....... ready and half bent over now. We'll see by Thurs or Friday.

Buckshot
08-11-2010, 03:36 AM
Well, I bought one off that Bay place last year and got burned. It was a 5" Union with two sets of jaws. My buddy to it to work to try and even out the jaws (one jaw would not bight on the front side of the part. That didn't cure the problem.

Soooo, yesterday I took another chance at an identical chuck from ebay. I'm holding my breath....... ready and half bent over now. We'll see by Thurs or Friday.

...........Yeah but that was a used one. I'm speaking new. Used is used and unless you previously knew the guy, or where he lives so you can go and personally return the chuck (one way or another :-)) used is always a gamble. I've gotten used before, but it was from a friend, and I saw it run on the lathe.

............Buckshot

ricksplace
08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
I have had good luck with KBC tools.

KCSO
08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I have a Bison and with a little tuning it will hold under 2 thou, which is just about what my old South Bend will do.

JIMinPHX
08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a Bison and with a little tuning it will hold under 2 thou, which is just about what my old South Bend will do.

That's not so good actually. I've seen a Bison hold .0002" on an average day. They often have top jaw threads that are less than impressive, but the concentricity & joint grinding is usually good.

danski26
08-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Sprue, If your still looking for a 3 jaw check out

www.tools4cheap.com

Jeff seems to be a good guy and his prices are very good. i have a 4 jaw on order from him along with a few other hard to find things.

Sprue
08-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I found one guys..... got from the bay. Looks and feels to be NOS.

Tks

Buckshot
08-14-2010, 02:37 AM
That's not so good actually. I've seen a Bison hold .0002" on an average day. They often have top jaw threads that are less than impressive, but the concentricity & joint grinding is usually good.

.............Two tenths, ............ in a 3 jaw? Holy mackeral dere Andy [smilie=w:

..............Buckshot

jmh54738
08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
The last two new three jaws I mounted up in the style of a "Buck Chuck", with four set screws on the outside of the mounting plate to allow the three jaw to be adjusted to perfection with the four set screws. I allow about .030" clearance between the plates. A four jaw chuck is always right on, while a three jaw never is. Often a tap or two on the jaw of "high side" will shift the whole scroll over just that extra .001 needed , all while the part is firmly grasped. I would never buy a used three jaw chuck unless I needed a boat anchor.

HotGuns
08-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I've got a 10" Buck Chuck that I use at work. When we need a 3 jaw, thats what we use.

We can dial it in within a couple of tenths and it works great for repetitive work.

The only downside is that if you do alot of heavy work or take off a lot on an interrupted cut, it can knock it out. Most of the time it does good though. We check it about once a week just to make sure its lined up.

jmh54738
08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
A fellow can't but love a Buck chuck!!